Moving Country - can i take me computer??

Phil930 20:12 02 Jul 03

I am moving from the UK to the USA. I have a very high spec pc and wondered if i could transport it across. I will take all the components out of the case and carefully pack it in a suitcase. Once in the USA i plan to buy a new case and a new power supply...

Will the power supply work correctly with my motherboard (Chaintech 7KJD). I know america uses different voltages etc, i'm unsure of the effect an american PSU would have on my hardware.

Another question, are components built the same across the world?? Say AMD processors, or do they have to manufacture them differently for UK Power sources??

Many Thanks

Phil

look at the back o your PC ,does it have a voltage switch 110/230 ? if so all you have to do is switch to 110. if not you may have to replace it. processors are the same wherever you live.

Phil930 21:21 02 Jul 03

no voltage switch so looks like i'll have to buy a new psu. so my components will work in yanky land, thats cool, thanks!

woodchip 21:29 02 Jul 03

If they have not been shaken too much

Forum Editor 23:08 02 Jul 03

will be the mains voltage, and that will be handled by your new PSU, which will ensure that the voltage delivered to the motherboard is correct.

I wish you well in America, come back and visit us when you get settled.

Smiler 17:34 04 Jul 03

I don't fancy your chances of the computer getting there safely in a suit case!!! have you watched the baggage handles at the airports. A better solution would be to send it by a recognised courier. Good luck. Have a nice day!!!

Smiler 17:47 04 Jul 03

I meant baggage handlers (wreckers more like)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…