Moving contacts from one user to another

garybaldy 19:45 05 Jan 03
  garybaldy 19:45 05 Jan 03

I have 2 users on my laptop and I would like to move my contacts from one user to the other. My user with the contacts has a live E-mail address, the other user does not have this set up yet. I use Outlook Express on Windows XP. Please advise?

jazzypop 19:54 05 Jan 03

Open OE, go to File > Export. Save the file to floppy or a common folder that both users can access. Then log on as the other user, and choose File > Import.

beeuuem 19:56 05 Jan 03

To import address books

You can import address book contacts from other Windows Address Book files (.wab), as well as from Netscape Communicator, Microsoft Exchange Personal Address Book, or any text (.csv) file.
For Windows Address Book

On the File menu, point to Import, and then click Address Book.
Select the address book or file type you want to import, and then click Open.

garybaldy 20:27 05 Jan 03

Jazzypop. I have just tried to follow your instructions. I exported the contacts onto a floppy, switched users, went into My Computer, chose drive C then program files, then Outlook Express and tried to open with no success. Please tell me if this was the hard way of doing it and what the simpler way is?

jazzypop 20:44 05 Jan 03

Maybe it's a terminology thing, but you should not be trying to 'open' the exported file, but 'import' it using file > import.

click here , then click on the backup and restore link - this is a very comprehensive and useful site for all things to do with OE

garybaldy 20:47 05 Jan 03

i will have another go thank.

garybaldy 20:55 05 Jan 03

im still haveing no joy ,im exporting from the user with the contacts loading onto floppy switching users and then trying to import the files but nothing is being transferred please help as i have work in the morning.

jazzypop 21:10 05 Jan 03

Every eventuality really is covered in the link I gave above, but...

Firstly, how are you exporting? The most reliable format is as text (comma seperated values, or CSV). Then, when you import, choose Other Address Book > Text File (CSV).

Secondly, when importing it may be necessary, when asked for the location of the file, to point Windows at the folder containing the CSV file, not the CSV file itself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…