(Movies) which format

struggle8 06:19 03 May 04

I want to have a go at downloading a movie now I have broadband what format is best to do i.e AVI or Mpeg, Divx which would give a better and clearer picture and sound

slimbo51 07:45 03 May 04

For Playing on a computer I find DIVX tends to give the best picture/sound quality.

struggle8 07:49 03 May 04

what about if I wanted to burn to disc as dvd would the picture degrade and the sound become poor

struggle8 08:14 03 May 04

also if I convert mpg or Avi to dvd will make the pic quality poor , or if I get a poor pic will converting it to dvd make it better pic

MichelleC 09:56 03 May 04

Avi is the best format but because it's uncompressed the files are huge. To convert to dvd mpeg2 is better (which Nero 6 et al can convert) and is approx 10th the size of avi and there's little degradation. DivX is either avi (special format) or mpeg4 and is good quality.

struggle8 15:43 03 May 04

thanks I will give it a go and see what happens let you all know later

stalion 15:54 03 May 04

divx are good quality playing on your computer but you will have problems trying to burn to dvd because they use many different versions of codec and therefore most software programs do not support it.Regards

struggle8 16:37 04 May 04

can you not convet divx to say AVI MPEG then

MichelleC 16:45 04 May 04

You can't convert DivX to avi easily, but Nero 6 should convert to mpeg1 or 2.

struggle8 17:32 04 May 04

great have to see how its done I have an AVI movie downloaded now comes the time to experement with it mind you nero 6 is telling me there are more ntsc than pal parts to it. also Im in the middle of downloading a MPEG movie I have played a bit of it and it seems to be of a much better quality than the AVI one

struggle8 15:10 05 May 04

right got mpeg movie playes fine in win med player, real player and Divx player tryed to make a DVD with nero 6 the movie converted into ifo bub and vob files ok but when I play movie it playes ok up till 53min 37 sec then it freezes on one frame and audio carries on to end of movie this only happen after changing to dvd format original mpeg movie plays fine any ideas whats happaning anyone please

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…