movie maker on windows vista

DAKAR 18:38 15 Jul 07

Hi
Why can't I import movie clips that I take on my Olympus digital camera into movie maker?
I am running windows vista I can upload the movie clip but when I go to movie maker I cannot import the clip I have even tried putting the clip short cut to my desk top but I cannot access it
V frustrating
cheers
Dakar

Andy1991 20:01 15 Jul 07

What is the video's file format?

GroupFC 20:06 15 Jul 07

From a quick Google, I suspect that the file format .mov and I don't believe that Moviemaker supports this format.

I think you will need to convert this file to different, supported format.

Andy1991 20:11 15 Jul 07

Exactley, just checked and it does not open / import MOV files if that is the file format of the video. GroupFC has hit the nail on the head.

DAKAR 20:40 15 Jul 07

Hi GroupFC
Thanks for the answer on my problem only one thing how do I find what file formats are supported by movie maker in windows VISTA
Thanks to all for helpful suggestions
Regards
Dakar

Andy1991 21:09 15 Jul 07

Go to Windows Movie maker and click Import, open the combo box at the bottom of the import window and u see there are many formats it supports. WMV, MP4, avi, mpg are such examples.

GroupFC 22:45 15 Jul 07

or alternatively look in the help file and I quote!:-

Supported file types
You can add content to your Windows Movie Maker project either by capturing content directly in Windows Movie Maker or by importing existing digital media files. The content you capture in Windows Movie Maker is saved in Windows Media Format. However, you can also import existing Windows Media-based content as well as other common file formats.

You can import files with the following file name extensions into Windows Movie Maker to use in your project:

Audio files: .aif, .aifc, .aiff .asf, .au, .mp2, .mp3, .mpa, .snd, .wav, and .wma
Picture files: .bmp, .dib, .emf, .gif, .jfif, .jpe, .jpeg, .jpg, .png, .tif, .tiff, and .wmf
Video files: .asf, .avi, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe, .mpeg, .mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv

anchor 16:31 16 Jul 07

Olympus cameras record their video in mov format. As has been stated, WMM will not import this format.

Try converting it to AVI with this:

click here

I have not used it myself, but its worth a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac