Move programs to other drive

plsndrs3 18:25 28 Oct 05

Hi,

Just doing my disk clear-up & there are some programs that are installed on my C drive that I want to move to my D drive. I either don't have the installation disks handy anymore [may have been cover freebies] or there was no path to put the program onto the other drive when I ran the Installation Wizard.

Are there any programs out there that will move the program folder, update the registry & the shortcuts?

TIA

Paul

SANTOS7 18:30 28 Oct 05

click here
this may help...

TomG 18:30 28 Oct 05

Probably not - when installing the program the installation wizard will not have put all the files in one place so you may not get all the neccesary files if you copy across

Peter 18:33 28 Oct 05

Yes there is/was a programme that would do this; Cleansweep from Quarterdeck, and then from Symantec when it became part of Norton Utilities.

I don't know if it is still available, but from what I read it wasn't always very successful so I don't think there is much point in trying to use it.

Perhaps someone else on this forum has more information about this type of programme, maybe with more success.

Peter.

DieSse 18:37 28 Oct 05

System Mechanic also claims to be able to do this 30 day free trial. click here

plsndrs3 18:55 28 Oct 05

SANTOS7 - that looks like it will do what I need. I'll try tonight & repost/close this string tomorow if I can :o)

Peter - I had Cleansweep & recall that moving 2 program folders [only freeware] ended up in a system format! Maybe that supports your comment?

DieSse - Thanks for that suggestion I'd forgotten that this was in System Mechanic & I have SM4 somewhere in my CDs, although I'd rather not install it again as I have now moved on to Tune Up Utilities which seems less resource hungry!

As I said, I'm going offline now to try & will post back ASAP.

BR

Paul

plsndrs3 20:00 28 Oct 05

Well, back on line [Firefox is one of the programs I moved].

GREAT little program! Moved the program folder, changed the registry & the shortcut target. Has the option of allowing to work alone or to verify each action - small footprint [only 932Kb] and freeware.

I'd recommend it. Even Nero was moved without any issue & still seems OK!

Thanks SANTOS7.

BR

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…