.Mov and Mpeg 4 query

muddypaws 11:00 AM 06 Aug 12
Answered

On the Nikon page here:

mpeg 4

The video format is shown as 'Movie file format: MPEG-4 AVC H.264'.

Yet a video clip property is shown as .Mov .

I am confused, as usual. Can someone explain please.

Thanks.

Woolwell 12:07 PM 06 Aug 12

It states "Movies: MOV (Video:MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, Audio: AAC stereo) ". File format is MOV. The bits in bracket I think are the equivalent.

Zeppelyn 13:38 PM 06 Aug 12

Yea Ive been sent a few of these and they play in Windows 7 without need for extra codecs. If they don't play in your OS the easiest answer is to change the extension to .mpg which is just what they are.

muddypaws 14:07 PM 06 Aug 12

Woolwell I obviously read the wrong entry. There was me thinking the format would play on my domestic stuff without converting.

Zeppelyn I am XP and no problem playing on PC.

Have d/loaded a converter, one of many over the years, but this one actually works.

Woolwell 14:10 PM 06 Aug 12

It depends on what you mean by "domestic stuff". On a PC Quicktime will play MOV. I would have to read the manual to see how it links to a TV.

muddypaws 16:44 PM 06 Aug 12

Woolwell

Sorry-- what I meant was my quite new TV and Panny cinema system don't play .Mov format.

PC is in different room to TV etc.

So I have to convert to mp4. and put on USB.

Thanks for help.

Will resolve shortly.

Woolwell 17:47 PM 06 Aug 12

Fairly sure that I can connect my Panasonic camera to my TV and play back MOV. Think that the camera does a conversion when connected. Will now have to check.

Woolwell 18:00 PM 06 Aug 12

From the S9200's manual "You can view the camera’s images and movies on a TV. Connection method: Connect the video and audio plugs of the included Audio Video Cable EG-CP16 to the TV’s input jacks. Alternatively, connect a commercially available HDMI cable (Type C) to the TV’s HDMI input jack".

eedcam 18:44 PM 06 Aug 12

Its not bog standard Mpeg its a form high definition

muddypaws 20:08 PM 06 Aug 12
Answer

Woolwell

Interesting.

Neither my Philips TV nor Panny home cinema will play .movs from a usb.

Will try camera direct tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…