Mouse/number pad for laptop

Cola Bear 19:39 24 Jul 05

I have recently purchased a Dell laptop - Inspiron 510m. I am finding the touchpad a real pain and presume I could connect a mouse to the laptop. If so, does it have to be a particular type compatible with the laptop model and is cable (USB?) normally supplied. In addition, I would prefer also to have a number pad rather than using the numbers along the top row of the keyboard. Does anybody know where I can order these items without ending up with something that isn't compatible?

VoG II 20:08 24 Jul 05

Pretty well any mouse with a USB connection will work and, yes, the mouse will come with a cable. Just make sure that it is a USB connector on the end.

Totally-braindead 20:13 24 Jul 05

If your laptop has a PS2 port then you can use any PS2 mouse, if it only has USB ports then you will have to use a USB mouse. Regarding a numeric pad the ones I've seen are all USB so you'll need a free port available for that as well.

Taff36 06:52 25 Jul 05

Personally I find using a laptop keyboard a pain after the first hour! I bought a Logitech Wireless Mouse / Keyboard whwich only needs the transmitter plugged into one USB connector. The mouse and keyboard run off rechargeable batteries (Jessops sell 4 with a charger that looks like a mobile phone for £9.99)

The keyboard has customised buttons for launching programs Internet Explorer / Outlook and Media Player for Example. It also has volume controls and a mute button etc. It also has a full numeric keypad.

I can pack the mouse / transmitter in the laptop case and take it everywhere. The mouse is optical so I don`t need a mat. I take the keyboard with me when I can but for visiting clients I can manage without.

Have a good look in the large stores, PC World/Staples/Currys etc and see what`s available. Try the keyboard keys & mouse for the right "feel" - it`s a personal thing and important if you are going to use it a lot, particularly if you have arthritus or joint problems. Prices range from £20 - £80 and the fact that you can do away with cables is a big help.

Jackcoms 18:54 25 Jul 05

Did you purchase your 510m online through the Dell website, as I recently did?

External keyboards and a selection of USB mice are optional extras.

You may still be able to purchase them as separate items from Dell.

Cola Bear 20:53 25 Jul 05

Thanks again all for your prompt responses and patience in assisting with my IT naiveness!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…