Mouse won't work at all; computer is frozen

Tabatha 10:13 28 Jul 05

Hi

Yesterday, whilst trying to install broadband from an NTL Broadjump CD, the computer suddenly went off for a brief second. It restarted on its own (I was half way through the installation) and
then my mouse wouldn't work at all.

I am on another computer because of the problems. Cannot do anything at all on mine.

Any help at all would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Graham ® 10:23 28 Jul 05

See if it will start in Safe Mode - press F8 when it starts to boot. If the mouse works, do a System Restore.

Diemmess 10:29 28 Jul 05

Have you tried starting in Safe Mode?

Switch on and keep prodding F8 until a screen comes up and offers Safe Mode among a list of choices.

You will have a crude display of Windows Desktop, and hopefully it will respond to the mouse.

Try this and post the result. What you do after this depends on which version of Windows you are using so give that info. as well.

PCA server seems to be playing up so will post a second time and apologise if this is duplicated

Tabatha 10:30 28 Jul 05

Graham

Will try that, and get back to you.

Thanks

Stuartli 10:32 28 Jul 05

It might have been because the installation required a reboot part way through.

Is the system still switched on? If so, hold in the power button for several seconds, release it and wait a short period before switching on again.

This should/may get the mouse going again. If not, use the keyboard to navigate to My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager and uninstall the mouse.

Then reboot, again by using the keyboard for navigation (I'm presuming you know how to do so) to the Start Menu>Turn Off Computer>Reboot.

uisquebeathus 12:45 28 Jul 05

If you are using Windows XP or 2000, You may have to resort to system restore to get back to a point maybe the day before you tried to install the broadband.
click start/ all programs/accessories/system tools/ system restore/ select and you should see a date yesterday for example select restore.
you should not loose data or letters or anything other than the installations done during the last 24 hours.

Tabatha 09:08 29 Jul 05

By the way, thanks for all your help.

I am on another computer because my mouse is completely stuck so cannot get back to you quickly.

Stuart.
You say use the keyboard to navigate to My Computer>Properties<Hardware>Device Manager etc.,

Sorry I don't know how to do that...Could you explain shortly please, then I'll try it on my computer.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…