mouse won't work.

elbecko 08:01 16 Dec 10

i've just bought a new optical mouse, plugged it in, unplugged the old one, but it doesn't work.
it lights up but i can't move the pointer on the screen.
it didn't come with a disc, and when i plug it in there is no message coming up about 'detecting new hardware'.

i don't understand, can anyone help please?
thanks.

i run xp home and opera.

Andsome 08:10 16 Dec 10

Can you try it on a friends computer?

elbecko 08:54 16 Dec 10

not really as i live miles from everyone i know. btw it has a PS2 connection.

onthelimit 09:03 16 Dec 10

If it's PS2, try turning the PC off then on again.

tullie 09:37 16 Dec 10

Do they have any reset buttons?If so try them,i dont know as its a long time since ive used one.

thumbscrew 10:51 16 Dec 10

There should be a small button underneath the mouse and another on a separate unit that comes with it...press them for a few seconds.

onthelimit 11:27 16 Dec 10

He doesn't say it's a wireless one, just optical.

chub_tor 11:37 16 Dec 10

Use the old mouse to go into Device Manager, Mice & Other POinting devices, uninstall the mouse driver. Switch off. Plug in the new mouse and re-boot. Let windows find the new mouse, if it doesn't then it is faulty.

woodchip 12:42 16 Dec 10

As above press the button on the receiver then quickly press the button in bottom of the Mouse

chub_tor 12:53 16 Dec 10

It's not a wireless mouse, just a regular plug in PS2 optical job, there is no receiver or transmitter.

woodchip 13:51 16 Dec 10

take it back

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…