mouse won't connect!

Gibbons 20:13 11 Apr 07

hi i have recently reinstalled windows and everything was going ok then i got a blue screen message - something about windows shutting down to prevent damage to computer. when i restarted i got to the log on screen and my mouse does not work. i have tried 3 mice all usb as my computer doesnt have conventional mouse socket. what can i do? thanks.

skidzy 20:16 11 Apr 07

Refresh all usb ports:

Goto device manager and uninstall everything under usb headings and reboot.

Windows key+Pause/hardware/device manager

Assuming xp

Fingees 20:20 11 Apr 07

Check in bios that legacy usb is enabled.

This enables the usb socket to work before the windows is loaded.

It may help.

Gibbons 20:28 11 Apr 07

ok skidzy i cant get to device manager without getting into windows can I? and at the moment I cant log into windows as usb isnt working.

Fin, how do you do that?

thanks!

woodchip 20:31 11 Apr 07

You have to do all the above using the keyboard. Keys to use are Alt+ letters that have a line under them. Look in Menu. Also use Tab key to cycle through buttons apace key will expand ot tick and remove a tick. etc

Gibbons 20:36 11 Apr 07

Keyboard doesn't work either. As soon as you get to log in screen all usb sockets don't function. The only time it works is when the computer is booting up so I can get to the F2 and F12 menus. But I don't really know what I'm doing on these!

woodchip 20:40 11 Apr 07

I suggest you start with the Windows Disc and do a Repair, If it's XP

skidzy 20:41 11 Apr 07

Gibbons im trying to help and thought i read you can get into windows,have you tried safemode.Tapping F8 on startup.
As Woodchip says...use your tab key etc...unless you have a usb keyboard.

F2 is probably your bios key,look for the usb legacy as Fingees suggests,check this is enabled.

Your problem is your still going to need the keyboard.

Gibbons 20:41 11 Apr 07

Yeah it's XP. I have the operating system cd in the drive. How do I access it without logging in?

woodchip 20:46 11 Apr 07

Reboot with CD in comp, The BIOS as to be set to boot from CD as the first Boot Device followed by you Hard Drive. You can then do a Repair with the XP CD

Gibbons 20:52 11 Apr 07

ok i have done that, but when i boot up it says 'drive 1 not found serial ata, sata-2'

this is really fustrating... thanks for trying to help me sort this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…