mouse totally frozen cannot access anything

jstaunton 10:37 15 Feb 04

my father is running xp on a new e machine, he is using a standard mouse, which has totally frozen. even after reboot mouse is in same position and will not move. therefore cannot access anything to delete it or change options. any ideas. or should he just go another mouse and try again.

goonerbill 10:41 15 Feb 04

silly, but have you checked the connections

powerless 10:44 15 Feb 04

When the computer is starting keep tapping the F8 key and select SAFE MODE from the options.

Does the mouse work?

If it does...

Click, Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, Find the mouse in the list and click the +, now right click the mouse and choose UNINSTALL, click OK...

Then restart the computer and it will boot into NORMAL windows.

Did it work?

Yes = Job done

No = What mouse is it and are you using generic drivers or manufacturer drivers from the mouse maker?

stoner 12:13 15 Feb 04

This happened to me awhile back and I don't want to be the harbinger of bad news but the cause was my motherboard had blown!

jstaunton 12:38 15 Feb 04

tried the safe mode but the mouse pointer would still not move.
system is only 3 months old , should i contact pc world????

Eastender 13:20 15 Feb 04

If a different mouse doesn't work, I would think you need to delete the mouse in device manager and then reboot to allow Windows to install the generic mouse driver.

Don't know about XP but in Me without a mouse I would:-

Press the 'Windows' key to get the Start menu

If you see Windows Explorer on the menu, use the Up cursor key to get there and press enter.

See how many stages it is to 'My Computer' and click the Up cursor that number of times.

Click Alt+Enter, this should give you 'System Properties'

Use the right cursor key to get into 'Device Manager'

Use the Tab key to select 'View devices by typ

then, whilst holding down the Tab key, use the Down cursor to select the Mouse,

use the Right cursor to open the mouse details, down cursor to select your mouse, delete it and reboot.

Windows should select the appropriate mouse driver.

JIM 13:40 15 Feb 04

try when on the desktop without mouse.
Win xp

1/ hit the windows flag tab on key board once to open programs start box.

2/hit up arrow (of the four) on keyboard 3 times till you see the RUN box highlighted hit enter on keyboard.

3/ type in as seen, SFC /SCANNOW with space,and hit the Enter on keyboard to run the sfc check.

place your recovery cd rom in the drive.

see if that helps.

anon1 14:27 15 Feb 04

Unplug the mouse and then plug it in again. You could also try another mouse. Less than £5 in most cases (standard ps2 mouse).

jstaunton 18:28 17 Feb 04

sorted - new mouse - simple when u know whats wrong
thank you all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…