Mouse stopped working on Win XP desktop

One Old Git 19:33 PM 10 Jun 12

Am running Win xp on an oldish desktop . At recent switch on, everything looked same as usual but, when boot-up completed, wireless mouse had stopped working. Pointer would not respond. Had been using this wireless mouse for some time with no problems. Tried an old (none USB) cable type optical mouse. Plugged into correct socket. No better. Mouse still did not work. Pressed various keys (ALT etc.)and managed to access control panel then Mouse settings. This said that cable mouse was working correctly. Sadly it wasn't.

Any ideas where I go from here?

woody 19:40 PM 10 Jun 12

Wireless mouse - uninstall - check bats - reinstall software.

After uninstall of wireless mouse reboot to see if cable type mouse works.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:47 PM 10 Jun 12

(none USB) cable type optical mouse. Plugged into correct socket. No better

I hope you switched off before plugging in a PS2 mouse as it can blow the non replaceable fuse on the motherboard.

Check device manager for yellow or red error marks against the mouse drivers.

One Old Git 21:58 PM 16 Jun 12

Still having no success! Thanks Woody and Fruit Bat. The wireless mouse came with a USB memory stick. All I had to do was plug it in and away it went. No probs. Worked fine for long time until failure. Then tried all kinds of things but. without the mouse, very difficult.

Installed another copy of the same Windows on a different drive. It worked perfectly, wireless mouse included. The old cabled mouse did not work on the new Windows therefore dumped. Sadly I am now going to have to spend a lot of time getting access to all the things that were on almost instant recall with the old windows.

Any ideas how I can speed this process up? TIA.

woody 01:11 AM 17 Jun 12

It sounds like the old windows has the mouse driver damaged. I know you did not load one but there has to be one . Have you checked in device manager? I would have a go at repairing old windows but make sure you have backed up before you do much.

One Old Git 23:55 PM 21 Jun 12

Woody. Have made a starton your suggestion but not easy without mouse| For same reason full data save hard, Am having to leave it for some days. Will let you know developments.

rdave13 00:54 AM 22 Jun 12

Through Control Panel select System, Hardware, and device manager. In Device manager select by double clicking or expand with the '+' sign, Mice and other pointing devices. Highlight the device that you have then right click and select uninstall. I know it is difficult to navigate via keyboard but with the TAB key and the arrows keys, enter etc. you should be able to do it. XP will reboot twice with the USB receiver still plugged in to your PC and will install generic drivers.

Keyboard Commands

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nvidia GRID 2.0 launch boosts virtualised graphics workflows

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites