mouse - squeaked its last squeak?

Bailey08787 09:16 07 Feb 03

Morning all

Yesterday I inexplicably started experiencing problems with my mouse - erratic movement, unresponsive, near unusable.

Now in the good old days, I'd get the mouseball out and wipe it a clean, and then scrape away any build-up on the roller-wheels inside - give it a good shake to dislodge any dust - and hey presto, all would have been good again.

But a year ago I purchased one of the Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse's, with the little infra-red light on the bottom.

So now this device has started to play up, I'm at a loss as to how to rectify it.

I've done all the diagnostic measures, and these have thrown up no clues.

I'm puzzled, as the mouse has not experienced any recent death-drop falls to the ground, has not gone swimming in any coffee, and generally looks in good health (on the outside)

As the mouse was bought around a year ago, the box/receipt is long gone - but I'll be annoyed if it means spending another £35 on a wizzy mouse.

yours

Bailey

Lú-tzé 09:25 07 Feb 03

Does it have a battery? If so, it may need replacing.

€dstow 09:29 07 Feb 03

Although there aren't any moving parts underneath to get gunged up, there is an LED and a light receiving diode. Either or both of these can get bunged up with muck and dross. Have a look underneath and try cleaning gently with somethiing soft (cotton wool bud?)

€d

Bailey08787 09:41 07 Feb 03

yes i had a go at cleaning the little light - no joy unfortunately.

Lu-tze - it's usb, and powered by the pc

€dstow 10:56 07 Feb 03

Remember there's a pick up diode as well adjacent to the emitting one, did you clean that?

I did have a problem a few weeks ago where some bits of an eraser got stuck over the receiver diode, even though the light emitter was OK.

€d

Bailey08787 12:13 07 Feb 03

i shall give it a thorough cleansing tonight - although i fear the worst

leo49 13:10 07 Feb 03

Try an air puffa [or just blowing] into the little pinhole - mine went weird a few weeks ago until I dislodged a sliver of fag ash.

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…