Mouse problems! Has it died?

BeForU 21:31 15 Nov 04

I have a 5 Button Trust 250S Optical mouse that I've used for about 3 years, but ever since yesterday, it started to act funny. I was merely just browsing on the net last night until the mouse cursor just stopped. The red optical LED underneath was still on so I knew that the mouse was still powered but nothing would move. I then tried to access the Mouse settings in Control Panel using my keyboard and on it, it didnt recognise the mouse as being there. I've tried replugging, reinstalling drivers (even though I don't need to as XP Pro recognises it), but I still get nothing. Sometimes when I restart the computer and reboot into the desktop, the mouse will work but only for a couple seconds. As soon as I move it, it completely freezes yet again, but also seems to considerably slow down my computer so I have ti restart again to fix it. I've tried using my old ball mice to check to see if it is something wrong with the PS/2 port but it doesn't seem so.

So will I have to say that my mouse has just gone screwed up, even though it is still powered up? I really love this mouse as it just has the perfect shape and i cannot be bothered to buy a new one unless I am forced to. Anybody here know of what the problem is, even if its technical?

john-232317 21:35 15 Nov 04

Pinch its ear, if it don't squeak, bury it and buy a new one....

woodchip 21:39 15 Nov 04

Do you have to press a button on the Receiver and on the mouse to get the Mouse connection recognised? Or check the Batteries are full charged

BeForU 21:40 15 Nov 04

Sorry I forgot to mention that my mouse is corded.

woodchip 21:44 15 Nov 04

Try removing the Mouse from Device Manager, You will have to use the keyboard to close windows then restart and it should reload your mouse. Hopfully it will work

BeForU 21:51 15 Nov 04

Have already tried that many times but it doesnt seem to do anything. At times, it appears in Device Manager/Mouse Control Panel settings but thats only when it works for like a short while and at times it disappears when it is not working. But again, the red optical LED is still on so its powered still. Whenever I move the mouse about when it does not work, the optical LED still recognises the movement but the cursor on screen doesnt move. It's just a really strange problem that is baffling me.

woodchip 21:58 15 Nov 04

Sounds like the Operating System as problems. What OS?

BeForU 22:00 15 Nov 04

Windows XP Pro. If that is the case then I have no idea what happened in the first place.

woodchip 22:01 15 Nov 04

Have you tried installing through Add New Hardware in Control Panel

BeForU 22:03 15 Nov 04

Yes but it doesnt seem to allow me to select any mouse hardware. Which it can only mean that it is not detected even though it is & the LED is powered on lol.

woodchip 22:04 15 Nov 04

If you have a full XP disc you could Run from the run box SFC /SCANNOW to check for corrupt files

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…