mouse problems

JOHN 19:21 19 Mar 03

Since upgrading to an Elite socket A motherboard with Duron processor, I find that when I shut the system down, the light on my optical mouse stays on. It didn't happen with my old socket 7 system. I know I can turn off the wall socket but why should I have to?

woodchip 19:27 19 Mar 03

It's the way new motherboards work with ATX and windows, You have also got a new case although you did not say, and the power stays on when you shut windows down with ATX system

woodchip 19:33 19 Mar 03

PS if you get a USB to PS/2 adapter it will turn of also it will work better

Djohn 19:44 19 Mar 03

As woodchip says, you will also find the NUM. Lock light on your keyboard will also stay on, this is because there is always power to your M/Board.

Something to do with the power settings that you now have with new systems. It allows you to wake up your PC from the mouse or keyboard. J.

JOHN 19:44 21 Mar 03

Further to my last message, I'm afraid that the answers that I got did not solve the problem. I've been using an ATX case with the last motherboard. Although my "Intellimouse" is a ISB one, I have been using an adaptor to PS/2. Also, my keyboard does switch off. My brother, who has a similar system with Award bios does not have this problem so it appears that it is just my PC that is odd.

Spook Tooth 19:57 21 Mar 03

Have you checked the Power tab in the BIOS?

My own AWARD BIOS has a setting for allowing my keyboard, mouse or whatnot to wake the system up from the low power standby position it goes to when I switch off - I've configured it to start up by hitting the space bar for convenience.

You could check those settings yourself, then 'save + exit' for it to restart with the new settings, should you wish to disable such settings. Else, I guess you could also switch off from the socket to kill the power to the PC completely.

If none of this works - keep posting, I'm sure you'll get there eventually. (BIOS is usually enterable on hitting the DELETE key on immediate power on/boot up.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…