mouse problem

shuggee 16:14 31 Oct 04

I have HP Pavillion 7925 computer running Windows XP Home with SP2.

I have had a problem with the mouse cursor behaving erratically for a while now. I thought I had it sorted when I bought a new USB mouse. It is a PC world own brand device. It worked fine for a few days but now, when I start the machine, the cursor appears, stationary, in the middle of the screen. I have to restart the thing to make it move. Today I had to restart it twice. Also, when I click the back button on my browser (Mozilla Firefox) it sometimes goes back two pages instead of one.

I have tried adjusting the settings in mouse properties but this hasn't worked.

I have heard about people having problems with SP2 but this was happening before I downloaded it so I don't think it can be that.

I'm considering reinstalling the operating system but am a bit reluctant to do this if I can find another solution as it means downloading all the updates again. I don't know if it would help, anyway as I have no idea what is wrong

Can anybody provide a solution to this perplexing problem.

Thanks
shuggee

alan227 17:00 31 Oct 04

If you have a SP2 disk you will have no need to download all the updates again.

shuggee 18:24 31 Oct 04

Sadly, I haven't. I don't suppose it would be a major problem though. I could get one I suppose. There's all the other software I've got loaded, that would need reinstalling. It will take a little time but worth it if it solves the problem. Do you think it would?

961 18:29 31 Oct 04

This should not require you to reinstall the o/s

First, have you uninstalled the original mouse and all the software relating to it

Have you installed the drivers that came with the mouse for XP

Have you tried a differnt usb socket

Have you turned down the hardware acceleration on the graphics card a notch to see if that helps

Have you tried the troubleshoot wizard in mouse in control panel

alnwrd 18:41 31 Oct 04

Have you tried updating the mouse driver?
Have you tried a different usb port?
Are your usb ports and new mouse both usb2?
Are there any conflicts showing in device manager for the usb ports?
Have you tried the mouse troubleshooter in device manager?
I don't think that reinstalling the operating system will do any good.

shuggee 21:14 31 Oct 04

Thanks for the advice. I've tried all of those things apart from the hardware acceleration on the grphics card thing. Can you tell me how to do that please?

woodchip 21:23 31 Oct 04

Have you tried removing the mouse from Device Manager and restart your computer. to shut down after removing mouse you use the Alt key and letters that are underlined. Like Alt+F for File, then you can see the close menu, when you get to start press the windows key and arrow up key then press enter, to close down comp

shuggee 21:42 31 Oct 04

Thanks but, yes, I have tried that and, incidentally, I had to restsrt three times earlier to make the damn thing work. I,m on th e verge of giving up. I've had it for tonight, anyway. So, thanks again for all the advice.

Goodnight
shuggee

961 10:03 01 Nov 04

Hardware acceleration can be turned down by going into display settings (advanced) in the control panel. It may sometimes be listed under "troubleshoot" Turn down two clicks and see if that cures the problem

In order to rule out a fault on the new mouse have you re-tried the old one?

recap 10:21 01 Nov 04

This may be a virus, update and do a full scan of your system.

shuggee 18:53 03 Nov 04

Thanks for the advice once again, I've tried the virus thing. I use AVG and update it regularly. I've just tried turning the hardware acceleration down. I hope this will also help with another problem I've encountered with this mouse, its just too sensitive. When I click on the back button on the browser, for example, it often goes back two pages rather than one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…