//some 3rd party need geo

Mouse pointer trapped in slider bar in Word doc

griffon 56 13:47 14 Jul 05

Having been parked at random in the vertical slider bar area of a Word doc and left for some time, the mouse pointer wouldn't move out of it.

Win 989SE, Belkin wireless keyboard and mouse.

Graham ® 14:21 14 Jul 05

Has the battery gone flat?

griffon 56 13:48 15 Jul 05

No.

griffon 56 13:39 18 Jul 05

^

Curio 18:20 18 Jul 05

Shut down and re-boot

griffon 56 14:13 21 Jul 05

Thanks Curio, I regained control of the mouse by a similar move, closing the document using the keyboard, and then re-opening, but I'm not looking for a short term answer, I'm looking for the basic reason why the anomaly happened in the first place and a long term cure. It would be very inconvenient to have to shut down and re-boot every time the mouse got a will of its own, and I need to know whether it's possibly a result of getting a virus or something. I'm hoping for an authoritative answer to cure the problem once and for all.

Graham ® 14:32 21 Jul 05

Scan for viruses or other malware such as keyloggers.

You can also look in Dr Watson.

Diemmess 15:13 21 Jul 05

An amazing number of Word related annoyances can be eliminated by >

Exit Word

Use Find (Win98) Files and Folders. Then type in to the window - Normal.dot

When you are sure you have found it, right click on it and choose Delete.

Load Word again, and you should find no trace of the previous problem.

Normal.dot is part of Winword.exe and can become corrupt. This procedure makes and stores a new Normal.dot as part of the opening process. The only downside is the loss of any special changes to the Normal template which you might have made in the past

griffon 56 16:01 21 Jul 05

Thanks Diemmess, I've just done that, but as you well know with all these unexplained Windows anomalies, you can't tell whether you've cured it or not even if it doesn't crop up again immediately. Here's hoping.

griffon 56 16:15 21 Jul 05

Hi Graham, I've done thorough malware cleansing, and run the usual disc keeping stuff, everything looks good and I don't think I've been targeted, but thanks for the reminder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…