mouse pointer somtimes moves erratic

jay4561 17:53 17 Oct 05

i had a ps2 mouse which moved erratic sometimes, changed to a usb logitech same problem, i have antispyeware instaled mcafee virus tried different mats its as though something else is controling it and you have to move the mouse on the mat fast to get back control any one got a similer problem

splork 18:17 17 Oct 05

Does it do it when you boot the PC in safe mode?

jay4561 19:11 17 Oct 05

have not tried that as yet

joeltr 19:11 17 Oct 05

had a similar problem a while back, does it need a clean to remove the fluff underneath?.

wee eddie 19:21 17 Oct 05

You don't say whether it's a ball mouse or whatever

PC Bilbo 19:31 17 Oct 05

Is your USB mouse an optical type?

If so try cleaning your mouse mat as this can make a difference.

If the mouse is still jerky, try adjusting response speed within Windows from the Control Panel and see if this helps.

Kate B 19:52 17 Oct 05

I've posted about this about a million times - it's an SP2 issue. I had a long email conversation with Microsoft techies when it first happened to me and after some abortive uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, they said oh, yeah, it's an SP2 issue.

We just have to hope that Microsoft might get around to fixing it in a patch some day.

jay4561 20:14 17 Oct 05

mouse does not need cleaning iv changed the mouse, kate is there any more info on what you have said regarding sp2 sounds like that could be something

cadena 20:33 17 Oct 05

I have the same problem, but have learned to live with it, I have windows xp home edition service pack 2, so have you heard if it can be corrected yet? Mine is an optical mouse too.

ACOLYTE 23:08 17 Oct 05

I had the same problem with my optical mouse,i run xp sp2 and it turned out that it wasnt sp2 at all but the lazer reflecting off the mouse mat,so i taped a piece of white paper to the mouse mat and its been fine ever since.

splork 23:22 17 Oct 05

Have you tried the mouses...mice...in question on other PC's? If you want to know whether it's software or hardware, download this click here
run it and create a bootdisk, boot from said boot-disk, which includes a DOS mouse driver, and see if your mouse still plays up. It's unlikely to recognise a USB mouse, try it with a PS2 mouse.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced