mouse pen / mouse alternatives - opinions please

musicbassman 06:50 13 Jul 03

I find a standard mouse quite tedious to use - if I relax my hand on the mouse the weight of my middle finger causes the right click button to be depressed by accident frequently. Can anyone suggest an alternatively shaped mouse or a mouse substitute? I seem to remember a product discussed on here a few months ago that was some sort of cover to go over a standard mouse that fitted your natural hand shape better - a 'mouse mate'? Can't find much about this subject in the archives, all suggestions welcome

-pops- 07:13 13 Jul 03

Try out an Intellimouse.

I've been using a M$ Intellimouse Explorer for ages now and find it by far the best one I've tried. It's fairly large size and fits neatly into a lightly cupped hand. It's also optical so no ball to get fluffed up.

musicbassman 09:34 13 Jul 03

Thanks pops. Has anyone tried a mouse pen and board ???

-pops- 10:02 13 Jul 03

Yes, I use a Wacom stylus and graphics pad. The one I have also comes with a cordless mouse.

As a mouse replacement, I don't rate it at all because it requires a closer grip (as if holding a pen) than the flatter approach of a conventional mouse. There is no wheel or its equivalent on a stylus either.

Graphic pads are excellent for what they are intended for, pretty hopeless as a mouse replacement - which is why they are supplied with mice (mouses?) as well.

Brian

Pesala 12:23 13 Jul 03

Almost all things are quicker with the keyboard if you can remember the shortcuts. Start by learning to use the Alter key to bring down menus. Most programs show the shortcut on the menus.

Disconnect the mouse completely for a day, and then you will have to learn. About the only thing you cannot do well without a mouse is drawing.

jazzypop 12:34 13 Jul 03

Many prefer a Trackball (essentially, an upside-down mouse, where you directly move the ball that is under most mice, but the mouse stays still - just make sure that you get one with a large ball).

I also have a Wacom graphics tablet. I found it performed better than a mouse, after a day or two of adjusting to it, and never bothered to use the supplied mouse. I soon found it faster, easier and more natural to use than a mouse.

Unfortunately, Wacom were a bit slow bringing out decent XP drivers, so I passed it to my son's PC (using ME). I now use an MS cordless optical Intellimouse, which I find extremely comfortable (I have large hands).

Occasionally, I consider downloading the latest XP drivers for the Wacom and connecting it back to this PC, but I have got too used to sitting back in my chair, with my cordless mouse working on my thigh - a much more comfortable posture for me than leaning forward to operate a tethered device. Especially after the recent operation on my spine :)

-pops- 12:45 13 Jul 03

The main reason I find holding a pen more of a problem than a mouse is the stiffness in my hand joints, especially my thumb (arthritis) plus the lack of a scroll wheel.

The best thing to do, musicbassman is to go down to your local, friendly neighbourhood computer supermarket and test out a selection. No need to buy from there is you don't wish but, it will give you an idea of what may be suitable for you.

Brian

Aol Hater 12:59 13 Jul 03

just jumping in on this thread for a second, is there ever going to be a different way of imputing to your pc? say VR headsets and gloves for example? or voice commands (that actually work) or anything else?

Pesala 13:02 13 Jul 03

It's called a secretary. (~_~)

Aol Hater 13:07 13 Jul 03

serious

rubella 13:54 13 Jul 03

musicbassman

I?ve two mice attached, one of which is a Microsoft Trackball Explorer. It?s huge compared to a conventional mouse. It?s pretty much impossible to click accidentally because of how much weight the rested hand applies to it. The first two fingers of the controlling hand straddle the steering, which is a roughly golf ball sized ball. The thumb automatically rests lazily over two buttons and clickable scroll wheel. Two more buttons sit under the last two fingers. You can also program it. ?tis possible to remain almost stationary, resting on it, and absorbed in?

The downside is it nowhere near as quick as my conventional mouse. I also seem to remember it was self-indulgent price. ?Tis very nice though.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…