Mouse not working after XP SP2 upgrade

Daddles 15:22 04 Aug 10

I recently had to do a repair installation of Windows XP Home due to a virus. All works fine until I download and install SP2. Then my (Dell) USB mouse and keyboard stop working. The red light on the mouse is on but the cursor is frozen in the middle of the screen. On the keyboard, there are no lights at all.

This happens in safe mode also. When I check the mouse using the Dell diagnostics disc, it works, so it must be an os problem.

I'm wondering if I should uninstall all my programs before doing the repair installation.

Before the repair installation, I was using XP SP3 and all was fine.

Can anyone help please?

Jollyjohn 15:31 04 Aug 10

Go Start Control Panel Hardware Device manager and see if there are any exclamation marks or red crosses on the USB devices. If so uninstall them. reboot without usb keyboard and mouse attached. When WXP finally starts up plug USB devices in and they should be reinstalled.

Daddles 16:25 04 Aug 10

No exclamation marks before SP2 upgrade. Afterwards cannot check because I have no way of communicating with the pc as I have no mouse or keyboard- even in safe mode.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:31 04 Aug 10

USB cable or wireless HID device?

Daddles 17:47 04 Aug 10

Hi Fruit Bat, both keyboard and mouse are usb and both worked after repair install but not after sp2 upgrade. Cursor frozen in the middle of the screen so cant even log in. No other connection for mouse or kbd.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:37 04 Aug 10

Cable or wireless?

Daddles 18:47 04 Aug 10

oh sorry, cable.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:41 04 Aug 10

can you boot to BIOS and check USB legacy fir DOS is enabled?

Daddles 19:53 04 Aug 10

Thanks Fruit Bat, haven't tried this. Do I need to press F2 on start up? It's a Dell Dimension

Ashrich 20:38 04 Aug 10

Usually f2 on a Dell unit

Ashley

keef66 15:55 05 Aug 10

I'm hanging on to my PS2 mouse and keyboard for just this kind of thing.

If USB legacy is disabled, will hitting F2 do anything??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…