Mouse not working after upgrade

mossgiel 13:54 06 May 03

Following a hard drive upgrade, I find my mouse no longer works. The Mobo is a Chaintech 5AGM2, and the mouse is connected via the serial port on the back of the PC.
The manual states that there is an add on card that would supply a PS2 port for the mouse, but I've been unable to source one in the UK.

Any suggestions on either of these topics greatfully received
Mossgiel :o)

eccomputers 22:23 06 May 03

you could of course get a nice usb optical mouse, they work great.
It sounds like you have a conflict problem with the serial port, which is common unless you are a bit techie.
If you dont have usb ports, you can buy pci usb cards very cheaply.

PA28 23:06 06 May 03

In the absence of details of your operating system, I take it that you have reinstalled the mouses' driver? If so, then suggest that you remove the mouse in Device Manager, shut down (using the keyboard!) and reboot to let your system redetect. Might also be worth checking to ensure that your BIOS is expecting a serial mouse and that PS2 is not enabled. Careful of USB mice as they can be awkwardly absent if you ever have trouble booting - PS2 is my preference here!

mossgiel 02:27 07 May 03

Hi again
Already tried that PA 28 ....... and no success :o( The OS is windows Me, and already reinstalled the Mouse drivers to no avail.
Have tried a USB mouse and that seems to work, but would rather stick with my PS2 mouse.
Have checked in system manager eccomputers and no conflicts were detected. looks like I'll have to source the add on card, if I want to continue using my PS2 mouse :o(
Thanks for all of your responses
Mossgiel :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…