MOUSE NOT RECOGNISED

Bonzy 11:46 15 Apr 04

Dear Friends,
My pc connot see the mouse any longer. The message on the monitor is as follows:

"Windows did not detect mouse attached to the computer. You can safely attach a serial mouse now.

To attach a mouse to a PS/2 mouse port, you must first turn the computer off."

Strange, because the mouse is a serial mouse already in the mouse serial port and, the same mouse has been working all along.
What is the solution to this friends. The Pc is running Win98. Thanks in advance.

deke 12:04 15 Apr 04

Hi I had this as well,I thought it might have been a poor connection but i checked and all seemed ok.
In the end i had to reinstall windows and it worked ok.

Installing the latest drivers did not help a complete reinstall did

remember to make back ups

best of luck

Tog 12:19 15 Apr 04

Check the connections

Check it on someone else's PC

Try another mouse

anon1 12:29 15 Apr 04

It could be that the mouse driver has become corrupt for one reason or another you can use the keyboard to go to device manager and check the mouse there. (and reinstall the drivers if need be)

Bonzy 10:53 16 Apr 04

Hi deke, thanx for response. For the OS reinstall,is it complete reinstall or upgrade reinstall? Thanx again

anon1 14:43 16 Apr 04

I cannot believe the number of people who simply insist on reinstalling windows. Unless you do a clean install the problem will remain unless you are very lucky. You should instead first look to see if it has been solved/reported before. The best way to do this is either a google search or a microsoft knowledge base search. Like this http ://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q206002 (remove the space after "http" then copy and paste the address into your browser but if you really want to reinstall then go ahead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…