Mouse not being recognised

PAE 17:08 29 Dec 04

On my son's Hewlett Packard the mouse has ceased to function. Replacing with alternative Mouse and Keyboard has had no effect. Managed to move around with the aid of the keyboard and looked in Device Manager. Mouse not shown. Have tried reinstalling OS (XP) and looked in BIOS. Have run out of ideas. Can anyone help please.

spikeychris 17:20 29 Dec 04

Is this a PS2 or USB?

AndySD 17:21 29 Dec 04

Standard or usb connections?

jack 17:24 29 Dec 04

Let me confirm this
you say went into Control panel/System/ device manager and no mouse shown?

The item appears under Keyboard as mice and other pointing devices and would show whether or not a mouse is installed.
Also Control panel has a mouse icon.

If this is a PS2 mouse it nees to be installed with the system shutdown.
Then reboot.
An alternative is to obtain a USB mouse.

PAE 19:38 29 Dec 04

PS2 Mouse. In Control Panel Mouse there is nothing under hardware. In Device Manager there is only a Keyboard shown when you expand Keyboard. My own system (which I am having to use for this) has a seperate mouse icon. I know that a mouse should be shown as installed as I managed (with great difficulty) to install a Microsoft Intellimouse) but it still doesn't work even though it shows as an icon on the desktop. There is also a mouse driver shown in C:\windows\System32 but I can't get in to change it. All ideas welcome.

spikeychris 20:11 29 Dec 04

A PS2 mouse uses IRQ 12. Make sure no other device is configured to use IRQ 12, causing a conflict.

PAE 20:25 29 Dec 04

How can I check that bearing in mind that I can only move using the Tab, CTRL and Arrow keys

spikeychris 20:41 29 Dec 04

Have you selected default settings in the BIOS?
click here

Androcles 21:06 29 Dec 04

If you can get on the net from your son's computer or,another one you can download mouse drivers from here:-click here
Input Device Drivers (mouse drivers,keyboard drivers,input drivers,mouse,intellimouse,keyboard,driver,drivers,drvers,drivrs,files,inf,file,input device,packard bell keyboard drivers,windows xp keyboard drivers,turbo-media keyboard drivers,mouse troubleshooting,keyboard troubleshooting,wheel,dos,optical,serial,driver archive,hardware drivers,software drivers,windows drivers,device drivers,download, etc., etc.) Hope this helps.Regards.

PAE 21:15 29 Dec 04

This thing has got a very wierd BIOS setup. Very little information at all certainly nothing on IRQs. On one of the opening screens there is some IRQ detail but IRQ12 is not shown. I have however found that Drive C is not the active partition and there were 3 others which I have removed but I now need to reformat c: and only seem able to do it as FAT 32 because there doesn't seem to be a NTFS Format on my XP disk. Can you help.

woodchip 21:23 29 Dec 04

One thing it could be, and windows will not report it, whether it is keyboard or mouse. Is if there is no 5 volts supply to the mouse , if it's the above it can be tested with multimeter, it is possible to run a wire from the 5 volts supply on the motherboard connection direct to the ps2 socket. If usb is working I would suggest you try a USB mouse

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…