MOUSE NIGHTMARE!!!

Tinderstick 18:21 01 Jan 06

Hi,

I have an ageing Pent III 500mhz and have just moved it into a bedroom. However, when I boot it continually fails to find a mouse! It replays the message that its safe to attach a serial mouse but never recognises the mouse when I reattach it and boot up again!!! its driving me mad as I cannot navigate properly with keyboard alone. Any advice would be great!

Thanks

Sidetrax 18:27 01 Jan 06

USB or PS/2 mouse?

woodchip 18:29 01 Jan 06

The mouse may be faulty, Wire break inside the Plastic sheath. Try a new mouse first

Tinderstick 18:33 01 Jan 06

its a PS/2 but I do have a USB also with my new laptop. When I plug the USB into the Desktop it asks me to insert Win 98SE disk to search for driver. I cannot find the disk. Can i search the net for a driver? thanks

woodchip 18:38 01 Jan 06

You can load a Mouse driver from Windows, You need to Navigate with keyboard to Control Panel\Add New Hardware choose to install from List choose mouse choose Hide compliant mouse under USB

Tinderstick 20:06 01 Jan 06

Add Programs keeps asking me to insert Win 98SE disk which I cannot find. Funny thing is, when I boot now, the PS/2 mouse can be moved in the first few seconds but then freezes up??!?!

Can I download a suitable driver onto CDRom for the USB mouse using this laptop and then load onto the desktop?

hargranules 20:50 01 Jan 06

I had similar problem I went on Internet downladed drivers by typing in mouse details in google. Then went on problem pc accessed device manager in safe mode, removed mouse drivers. Re booted pc attached mouse then when it asked for cd inserted downloaded one. This did the trick!

woodchip 21:02 01 Jan 06

In Windows Go to Device Manager and remove the mouse all mice if you see any. In Control Panel\System\Device Manager reboot computer with one of the mice, Try PS2 first

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…