Mouse Locks Up

jonski 11:39 06 Aug 04

Hi, just wondered if anyone has any idea with this...my pc screwed up a couple of weeks ago, ie wouldn`t boot....no monitor..no system beeps..discovered the motherboard had gone so replaced with a gigabyte board and a new 550 watt power supply...all seemed well for a couple of weeks but now my mouse keeps freezing up while mutlitasking...ctrl-alt-del doesn`t do a thing...my dvd burning proggy stopped working can`t install or uninstall anything...does this sound virusy.? i`ve done full scans with avast anti virus but when i try scanning with McAfee...it gets half way through then freezes solid..same if i`m using a paint proggy...if i try cutting and pasting a picture again it locks up...i`ve checked all the usual ie everything in securely and so on...system is running winxp athlon xp2100 chip with a gig of ram....any help would be appreciated...btw..i tried formatting yesterday with the xp disc...it gets so far into installation the comes up with a blue screen error message.

alan227 12:36 06 Aug 04

Can you post the error message

jonski 12:37 06 Aug 04

not without trying to format it all again...

joelle1230 12:40 06 Aug 04

have you tried system restore
uninstalled new progs
checked for conflics
run it in safe mode
sorry if it sounds to obvious

alan227 12:42 06 Aug 04

Have you checked for any faults in device manager.

alan227 12:45 06 Aug 04

On reading your post again, you say you installed a new mobo, did you do a clean re-install of windows as XP will be locked to your old mobo.

jonski 12:47 06 Aug 04

To Joelle the system restore has strangely been turned off....and will not turn back on which makes me think it could be a virus.

And alan, yes m8 i have checked in device manager...everything seems fine..

jonski 12:49 06 Aug 04

Yes alan i did a full Clean Install because i had done a major hardware upgrade.

alan227 13:07 06 Aug 04

Try a virus scan with this.click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…