Mouse and Keyboard stopped working. HELP

Wrighty 23:56 12 Dec 03

Hi there,

My Nephew left his PC BASE unit with me whilst on holiday. When he took it home last week and connected it up the Mouse and Keyboard are not working. They are colour coded connections so I know he has them correctly connected. However, instead of telephoning me about them not working he pressed a number of keys on the keyboard and now even the numerical lock key light will not even turn off.

I am going to have a look at it tomorrow but wondered if anyone has had this problem at all.

The PC is a Sony machine with Windows XP. The PC fires up ok and the desktop loads just no mouse/keyboard. He tried another mouse but that did not work.

Any idea's would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Wrighty

Steven135 09:21 13 Dec 03

If you are seeing him tomorrow does the keboard work in during boot up? Can you get into safe mode?

I would suggest taking your keyboard and mouse to try but it sounds as if something may have come loose in the move.

Diemmess 09:23 13 Dec 03

Make sure the plugs have not been switched......it is only too easy to do it accidentally. Do switch off before you change them.

Stuartli 11:34 13 Dec 03

Have you checked in Device Manager or Control Settings that both are still enabled and that the drivers are working properly?

It could be worth removing both the keyboard and the mouse and letting them reinstall themselves on bootup.

Stuartli 12:00 13 Dec 03

It's stated that the plugs, as usual in most cases, are coloured.

I've forgotten that without a keyboard or mouse my suggestions are not much use...:-(

Here's one Sony based suggestion:

If your keyboard and/or mouse is not working for the Sony eVilla, resolve the problem by turning off the eVilla and unplugging the keyboard and mouse for approximately 15 seconds. Plug the keyboard and mouse back into the eVilla and turn it on.

Microsoft suggests:

Install a PS/2 or Serial Mouse or Pointing Device
If you have a PS/2 or serial mouse or pointing device, you can install it instead of your USB device:
Turn off your computer, connect your PS/2 or serial mouse or pointing device, and then restart your computer.
If you are prompted to log on to your computer, click Cancel.
Click Start, point to Settings and then click Control Panel.
Double-click System, and then click the Device Manager tab.
Right-click the USB keyboard and mouse entries, click Remove, right-click Computer, click Refresh, and then click Close.

InZaNE_mOdS 12:04 13 Dec 03

what mouse and keyboard is it? i.e. make etc..

Willabong 01:22 14 Dec 03

Unplug the mouse and keyboard and check that your Nephew has not bent the pins inside the plugs, if he has then use a small bladed screwdriver to straighten them,( But be very careful as they can break off easily!)
This is a very common thing to happen,and i am willing to bet this is what your Nephew has done!and even if only one pin is bent it will stop the keyboard and mouse from working.

Stuartli 09:12 14 Dec 03

I think you mean "it will stop the keyboard OR mouse from working", depending which plug's pins may have been bent.

If a pin is bent, careful straightening should allow the plug to be inserted into the socket.

Wrighty 16:03 14 Dec 03

He has connected the keyboard and mouse whilst PC was running. I as waiting for him to bring it over hopefully within the hour.

I will let you know what happens.

Thanks for all your help

Wrighty

Stuartli 16:24 14 Dec 03

It's always advisable, apart from USB peripherals, to connect or disconnect whilst the system is switched off.....

Wrighty 19:08 14 Dec 03

Hi there Stuartli,

I know that but my Nephew is not a computer person really. He has only had the machine a few months.

Thanks anyway, I will tell you what happens

Wrighty

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…