Mouse / Keyboard ports not working after power supply change

templar_knight 07:06 17 Aug 13

I recently changed the power supply on my computer. The computer boots up ok but the ports for Mouse, Keyboard and a couple of USB ports adjacent to them don't work.

Could it be due to incorrect hooking up of the cables ... I have quite a few cables that are not connected anywhere to the motherboard. But I thought that was normal and these were for extra stuff like drives.

Anyhow, would appreciate if someone could point out what might be wrong in this situation and if my hunch is indeed correct.

Thanks, tk

spuds 17:30 17 Aug 13

I assume that you have replaced the Power Supply Unit with a same type to that what was removed?.

There can be a number of unused cables, but normally the connections on the cables are fairly straight-forward. But I always suggest that marking or noting the cables if you are likely to be unsure on re-assembly, is a wise move.

You might find something helpful with this 7 page tutorial click here

templar_knight 05:21 19 Aug 13

Thanks for the reply. Yes it was the same type of power supply.

The link you mentioned looks helpful. I will see (compare) if I have done everything in order.

wee eddie 12:15 19 Aug 13

Shutting the Stable Door: I know that this is a bit late in the day and it wont help you now but it does highlight the, oft given, suggestion that one should take a photo of the site before starting work on the job.

templar_knight 16:59 19 Aug 13

Ha good point! Will keep in mind for future. I was thinking this thing would be straightforward so didn't bother ... Lesson learnt.

:-)

Terry Brown 12:31 20 Aug 13

I assume you have not something like putting the mouse plug in the keyboard socket and visa versa? assuming you are using the mini din sockets and not USB connections.

Terry

wee eddie 13:08 20 Aug 13

For "mini din" read "PS2". They are usually Colour Coded.

To my mind, a better bet than USB as they almost always work in Safe Mode

templar_knight 04:59 22 Aug 13

Thanks Terry and Wee Eddie,

The mouse and keyboard were connected to the correct ports (at the back of the machine).

Since these ports are not working, I hooked the mouse and keyboard into 2 USB ports that sit at the front of the machine. I used adapters for this.

Also, as I mentioned, the ports for the mouse and keyboad AND 3 USB ports at the back of the machine are all NOT working. That is why my assumption that I might have not connected the cables properly.

Cheers, tk

templar_knight 04:59 22 Aug 13

Thanks Terry and Wee Eddie,

The mouse and keyboard were connected to the correct ports (at the back of the machine).

Since these ports are not working, I hooked the mouse and keyboard into 2 USB ports that sit at the front of the machine. I used adapters for this.

Also, as I mentioned, the ports for the mouse and keyboad AND 3 USB ports at the back of the machine are all NOT working. That is why my assumption that I might have not connected the cables properly.

Cheers, tk

bumpkin 23:29 23 Aug 13

If all you have done is change the PSU then it seems like you have omitted one of the connectors or they are not in firmly. Look for small connectors from the PSU and matching sockets on the motherboard.

bumpkin 23:48 23 Aug 13

I am assuming that these things worked before you replaced the PSU. What was your reason for changing it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…