mouse freezing & have to shut down

march 11:32 31 Jan 06

any help for this problem, mouse completely freezing, cannot use ctrl,alt delete, have to use restart button on modem, just suddenly started this problem, managed to get into mouse in settings & cannot see anything to help me there,have checked for virus & all ok.& have unplugged & cleaned connector,

running wins98,& intellimouse,

if any help is posted I might be a while replying as I said I have to keep shuting down & restarting because of this,so thanks anyway

Graham ® 11:41 31 Jan 06

Could it be the PC that is freezing, that is, failing to respond? Check in Event Viewer.

keith-236785 11:53 31 Jan 06

try again using ctrl+alt+del, but this time press them once and wait for upto 30 seconds, you should get the task manager box up, just close the task manager and you should then be able to check the event viewer as suggested by graham.

if you need to shutdown, try pressing alt+F4, that should bring up your shutdown menu (but if your pc has frozen, it probably wont)

it could be any number of things causing a freeze, one of which is heat, check the processor fan is spinning.

if you are unsure about opening your case, then it might be best to take it to a computer shop, or someone you know.

keith-236785 11:54 31 Jan 06

forgot to say, have you tried with a different mouse?, it could be (but i doubt it) the mouse is faulty.

march 12:37 31 Jan 06

sorry for delay,

think it might be that pc is freezing not just the mouse (thought is was mouse as it stutters then refuses to move & then cannot use keyboard either)

processer fan is working ok,

have removed all cables & cleaned them & then restarted & so far all seems ok.Will leave post open to see if things are working ok

Thanks Graham ® & paperman27 will post again if problem continues

march 16:05 31 Jan 06

seems to be ok at moment, dont know if it was the cleaning that worked but fingers crossed, thanks for the fast response,this forum's great & always dependable.

march

Gongoozler 16:14 31 Jan 06

If you think you might have a heat problem, download and install MBM5 click here, this will monitor your computer temperatures and voltages. The temperatures can also be viewed on the task bar, so you will be able to spot any temperature rise. The cleaning that is most useful but often missed is between the fins of the processor heatsink.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…