Mouse Adaptor

smeghead103 22:16 18 Feb 03

hello gang

Could someone tell me if I can get an adaptor for the wheelie mouse I have been given. My current mouse (with no wheel) has a square 'block' that screws into back of my PC. The new mouse has a round end with pins. Is it useless, or is there out there something I can do.

Also [just out of interest], if you close a document and accidently press no when asked to save changes is there any way of recovering the work. Currently there is nothing I have deleted but I roo the day when I wiped out 24 hours non stop slog on my dissertation. A trick would be handy...Thanx all. :@)

Djohn 22:29 18 Feb 03

smeghead103, click on the yellow envelope next to my name and send me your name and address, and I'll stick a spare one in the post for you! J.

VoG™ 22:49 18 Feb 03

Part 2 - No. I'm assuming that you are using Word. In Word go to Tools/Options, Save tab and tick just about everything you can. At least once a day copy your thesis to a removable medium (like floppy or whatever) and store that in a different building. Also set yourself up a Hotmail or whatever account and e-mail a copy there daily.

Djohn 22:51 18 Feb 03

On it's way in the morning. J

BlueMeanie 20:51 19 Feb 03

The best "trick" is when first starting your document is to save it, and then manually save at regular intervals, say every 5-10 minutes, (Control + S is a useful keyboard shortcut). If the worst should happen then you you would have a copy just a few minutes out of date. I also agree saving to another medium is required ie Floppy Disk.

In Word 97 or 2000 under Tools/Options set Auto Recover every 5 minutes, and under File Locations decide the folder where to auto save - I use the same location and ordinary saves. I understand that if you tick "Always Create Backup Copy", that this will keep one back up available.

woodchip 21:00 19 Feb 03

You need a serial to PS/2 mouse Adaptor, ether from a Comp Fair or Maplins click here

Djohn 21:29 21 Feb 03

smeghead103, has your adapter arrived yet? J.

DieSse 00:13 22 Feb 03

Some PS/2 mice will work with an adapter, some won't. They have to be designed to work with (or without) an adapter in the first place. Many will not work with an adapter these days.

Djohn 00:30 22 Feb 03

DieSse, good point, I had forgot about that, anyway I put one in the post for him, came off a Logitech, if I remember correctly. J.

smeghead103 00:41 22 Feb 03

Well cheers all, and espesially DJohn. I was really chuffed to get the post, and could barely contain my exitement....ALAS!!!! just my luck the mouse does not seem to register on my PC. Well I suppose I will have to get my hand in my pocket. I have a wheelie mouse at work and it makes for much easier surfin etc...

Again thanks to all PCA readers.

Djohn 00:46 22 Feb 03

smeghead103, Don't worry I will send you a rather nice three button logitech rodent that the adapter was initially attached to.

Not a wheel mouse as I say above but a really good one and so accurate, you can trace round the edges of large text with it.

In the post to you tommorrow. J.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…