Mouse

Yorkie 1 17:16 14 Jan 06

I have recently acquired a new laptop with a touchpad that I find difficult to use. I also have an H.P optical mouse given free with a pack (50) of H.P. photo paper, however I can't seem to get it to operate. I have plugged in the little USB gizmo, inserted the battery, switched the mouse on, (the red light underneath lights), but the cursor on the screen stays put. Any ideas, never having had one before I don't know what to expect.

ade.h 17:22 14 Jan 06

What model of touchpad do you have? Once we know that, we can probably tell you whether the switchover should be automatic or whether a particular setting needs to be changed.

Yorkie 1 17:25 14 Jan 06

Hi ade.h

I'm sorry I have no idea it is built into an HP note book

ade.h 17:37 14 Jan 06

Which is what Im using right now, funnily enough. In which case, it will almost certainly be a Synaptics V6.2.

This does not need to be disabled or have any changes made to it. I have just plugged in a Microsoft optical USB mouse to confirm to myself that it works, and it's absolutely fine.

Both devices can still control the cursor and have all their functions intact.

Can you try a standard Microsoft mouse, optical or ball but preferably wired, to see if the HP mouse is the cause?

A friend of mine with an Acer laptop can't use his matching Acer/Ferrari mouse but an MS one is okay.

ade.h 17:39 14 Jan 06

If you want to find out for sure which model it is, look in Mouse settings and hit the devices tab. Touchpad settings are all in there under the settings button.

Yorkie 1 17:42 14 Jan 06

Thanks to all,
I have to go now but willbe trying out suggestions later.
You are a great bunch. *S*

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…