motherborad upgrade problems!!Pls help!!

theons100 08:54 09 Jun 06

I have just replaced my AsRock 775 motherboard with an Asus 775 motherboard. All other parts remain exactly the same and have not been changed.
When i attempt to start the PC the PSU powers up, the graphics card fans comes on, the DVD writer is working and the CPU fan works.
However, the hard drive does not appear to be working and there is no image on the screen whatsoever! Why would this be the case??
I know there has been no static damage cos i use a wristband.
Pls help cos i was really looking forward to an improvement in performance.
Cheers

Gongoozler 09:58 09 Jun 06

Do you get a POST beep when the computer starts up?

gudgulf 10:04 09 Jun 06

Check everything for correct fitting.

You should at least get the BIOS boot screen,even if the hard drive is not working.

Chech that the graphics card and RAM are correctly seated.

Check the cpu is inserted with the correct orientation and that the heatsink/fan is properly fastened down

Make sure the extra 4 pin 12v connector is attached to the motherboard if your processor need it and any extra power connection to the graphics card is in place if it uses one.

Check and double check the front panel to motherboard connectors are correct.

Could one of the motherboard spacers be incorrectly positioned and causing a short circuit?

Check that the clear CMOS jumper is in the normal rather than "clear" position....some motherboards ship with it in the clear position.

woodchip 10:11 09 Jun 06

The reason, You Hard Drive need clean Install of Windows and the Drivers have to be loaded from the Motherboard CD.

Will it do anything if you keep tapping F8 as computer tries to start? if you get a screen choose Safe mode.

Also if the Drives are Sata you need to load the drivers before it will pick the hard drive up

theons100 10:35 09 Jun 06

Hi
Thanks for responses...

There is no Beep sound when it starts up.
I have looked at Asus website and they describe this problem as being that i need to clear CMOS and then it should work....does this sound right to you guys??
I have double checked that everything is correcty fitted.

woodchip 10:45 09 Jun 06

You can try by moving the Jumper to clear CMOS if there is one on the board. But check that it is in the run position when you start the comp as on some board it can kill the cmos if it's not.

Gongoozler 11:08 09 Jun 06

No beep means that the motherboard isn't even initialising. Try clearing the CMOS. You may be able to do this with the link, but if that doesn't work, take the CMOS battery out for about 30 minutes and then put it back again. If even that doesn't work, unplug EVERYTHING from the motherboard except the PSU, processor with heatsink, power switch and case speaker. You should then get an error beep because you have removed the memory . If that doesn't work, unscrew the motherboard from the case and rest it on a sheet of card to be certain that there isn't a short to the case. If even that doesn't work, then you probably have a faulty motherboard, PSU or processor - or the processor hasn't been fitted properly.

Gongoozler 11:30 09 Jun 06

Resolved. Presumably it was the reset link that did it then?

theons100 16:31 09 Jun 06

Sorry Gongoozler....
am at work at the mo so will have to try this later this evening...fingers crossed though and thanks for the help.

Gongoozler 18:14 09 Jun 06

Ahh, I guess that the resolved tick was accidental then ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…