Motherboards and processors

James H 09:21 28 May 03

If the motherboard supports an Athlon XP processor of 1500+ ~ 2000+; FSB: 266MHz can I assume that if you had a processor with more than this spec then the motherboard would support up to the maximum spec.

Or would the processor not work because it is too powerful - the processor in question would be an AMD Athlon XP2700+,2.16ghz with 333Mhz bus speed.

Thanks for any advice

Jomi 09:27 28 May 03

The motherboard would probably work, but only at it's maximums, so it would act as a bottleneck for your processor.
Think of the FSB as pipes, the bigger it is the more information can be pushed through, if you connect a big pipe to a small pipe then you'll only push through what the smallest pipe can take.

Hope that helps.

James H 11:27 28 May 03

Basically the motherboard has a maximum bus speed of 266Mhz (clock speed of 133Mhz)whereas the processor has a bus speed of 333Mhz (166Mhz). In addition the processor has what is called a multiplier of 13 which is applied to the maximum clock speed giving the maximum processing power.

Example 166 x 13 = 2158 which is 2.16Ghz (If the motherboard has the capacity for the processor).

In this case the motherboard only has a bus speed of 266Mhz (clock speed of 133Mhz)-

Example 133 x 13 = 1729 which is 1.7ghz.

The conclusion to this is check the maximum motherboard capacity before buyiong a new processor as you could pay £45 more for a 2.1Ghz processor which because of the motherboard constraints will only run at a capacity of 1.7ghz.

I will now order a cheaper processor which still runs a 2.0Ghz but with the bus speed of 266Mhz.

I hope I have not been too boring - I will now tick the box!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…