motherboards and microsoft

hello, i have a new motherboard, kind of ordered in error, but i have it now so im finishing off my new case and desk experiment/ disaster.
halfway through i had a thought and would be very grateful for advice, what about windows?? i have xp home registered to this, (now broken, bust the damn clip off the pci express!) motherboard, what do i have to do?
my full version of vista is also registered to my (screws in the wrong place compaq) motherboard.
however that's on hold for a while, but will my xp still work? or is it just the validation for up dates ?
im still on the same ip address (but only the er, power cable is original now!!) please god dont tell me i have to make mr gates richer still he's had a kings ransom off me already !
any advice (quick as you like) as always well received.
adam

now where did i put that...........

xania 09:04 18 Jun 07

When you try to validate, you will fail and be givn a telephone number to ring. Tell them what's happened and they will give you a validation key for free - as long as your version its OEM. Your new motherboard will then be registered for future re-installations and your old one will be de-registered.

Graham. 09:21 18 Jun 07

If validation fails, one of the options is to update the Product Key. You enter the Key on the sticker and that should fix it. I did this on a friends ex-company laptop yesterday.

cheers, sorry for delay, first time i fitted a new motherboard! activated it by the phone number.
adam

Strawballs 13:22 19 Jun 07

I did this this with friends ex-company laptop it had a XP pro product key sticker on it but had win2000 on it so I used my OEM XP Pro disc and the number from the sticker on it but it would not activate online saying that I had typed the number wrong, tried again same thing so tried the automated telephone route and it worked fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5