motherboards

rupie 22:34 01 Nov 03

I have a PC from Evesham. It is a number of years old and I cannot afford to buy a new one. the processor is AMD 1GHZ. I have upgraded the HDD to 80gig, the memory to 800mb pc133, and the connections to ata133. I have added various pci cards for USB2 and firewire. It is now time to upgrade the motherboard I have looked at listings and have not got a clue what to buy that will be a good upgrade and also work well with most of my excisting bits Please help

LastChip 22:49 01 Nov 03

If it's a few years old, the first thing we need to know is what sort of case you have, because this in turn will affect the power supply.

It's probably ATX, which means that you turn the machine off via the operating system. In other words, when you select Shutdown, the machine turns itself off. Is that the case?

rupie 22:58 01 Nov 03

I know it is an ATX case. I am happy to upgrade the motherboard and psu and processor

gudgulf 23:06 01 Nov 03

In what areas are you looking to improve performance?.Changing the motherboard may well mean changing both the memory and processor in order to get a decent improvement-not to mention the video card.

rupie 23:14 01 Nov 03

speed in both processing power but bus speed, also to reduce the need for so many PCI cards for USB2 and Firewire. There should be no need to change the vid card as it is already AGP

LastChip 16:21 02 Nov 03

I know it's not much help, but at the end of the day, you have to make a choice based on what you can afford and the capability you require. After all, motherboards are available from about ?25, to well over ?100!

If you stick with a product from Abit, Asus or Gigabyte, you wont go far wrong. Try and afford one with at least five expansion slots, and preferably six. You have discovered already, how quickly you can fill them up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…