Motherboard - which graphics card?

Gigs 21:49 06 May 04

At the moment I have an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 graphics card running on a Jetway V333DA motherboard.
I want to upgrade the graphics card but how can I tell which is the best card that this particular motherboard will support.
It supports a 1X/2X/3X/4X AGP VGA card. What else should I be looking at please.

Thanks in advance.

davidg_richmond 22:01 06 May 04

The motherboard will support many 4x cards on the market, such as GeForce FX and Radeon cards that use 4x. Just check for the highest 4x card you can buy.

citadel 22:11 06 May 04

most new graphics cards are 8x, they still work in 4x agp slots but at 4x. there is very little difference in speed between 8x and 4x. Which graphics card you get depends on what cpu and ram you have installed. It is not mutch good installing a top of the range card if your system can not get the best out of it. Most people go for a mid range card a fx5700 or fx5700ultra, a faster fx5900xt is about the best value now. Any of these will give a massive increase on a mx440.

Gigs 22:18 06 May 04

Thanks for that info.
citadel, I have an Athlon XP1900 and 256kb DDR SDRAM. If I upped that to 512 of SDRAM would that change the type of card I could install.

Thanks again.

Gigs 22:22 06 May 04

Sorry, I meant 256mb of DDR SDRAM.

citadel 22:24 06 May 04

more ram is good it helps when playing games, it makes no difference to what card you can install. A mid range card is good for you just get what you can afford.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…