Motherboard upgrade and printer problems

QueenBee 23:44 16 May 03

Since upgrading my motherboard and doing a fresh install of Windows XP, SP1 and updates, I've been unable to print to either of my printers - HP LaserJet 2100 and Epson Stylus 600. They both worked fine on my previous motherboard and XP setup. Unfortunately, I didn't think to check whether they worked on the new board prior to re-formating my system.

Neither printer is now autodected as has been the case previously. Furthermore, although I can manually install the drivers without complaint, they just don't work. I've checked everything I can think of so far. The mode in BIOS is set to ECP/EPP DMA 3 (although I've tried all the other modes as well with no difference), the printer port is set to LPT1, the cables I'm using are both bidirectional, the printers are firmly connected and online during testing. The printers are on separate cables (a pain as I have to swap them over each time until I get round to buying a switch box), but at least it makes it unlikely that the problem is due to the cables.

At first, I was convinced that the parellel port on the motherboard was dead and that I'd have to return it as faulty. However, my Mustek 600 CP scanner is working perfectly well on that port. The Epson 600 printer is daisy-chained via the scanner (as it always has been). I had installed the scanner drivers as usual prior to attempting to install the printer but had not used the scanner at all. Due to the difficulties I was having, I just expected the scanner not to work (and the scanner has never autodetected anyway). But now I know that the scanner does work so I can't understand why the printers won't. Even if there was a poor connection between the scanner and the Epson (which there isn't), that would not explain the problems with the HP on the other cable.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…