motherboard upgrade

JON99 12:50 05 Jan 03
  JON99 12:50 05 Jan 03

If I upgrade my motherboard (ga-7zxr to a ga-7vaxp-ultra) and my cpu (athlon 1gig to xp2700+) but retain the same hard drive will I need to re-install windows (xp prof.) or will the new bits carry on where the old ones left of? Can anyone help?

PurplePenny 13:07 05 Jan 03

Not realising that there might be a problem with upgrading I changed my mobo and CPU then just booted up as normal. Win98 just found my hardware and all was well. I did find a couple of duplicated entries in hardware and not knowing which to keep I deleted both and let Win find the hardware again.

No probs ... but I've never done it with XP.

PurplePenny

acfc 13:21 05 Jan 03

Just did the same with Windows ME but had a number of problems which have now been overcome (mainly with advice from this forum)without re-installing Windows.

I have read however that it is a good idea to do a clean install of Windows periodically and during your upgrade would be the ideal opportunity

misery 16:57 05 Jan 03

don't forget to update the mobo driver as soon as you boot into the o/s.

AdeJ 17:36 05 Jan 03

There's no doubt a virgin installation trims out all the garbage etc and un upgrade is the ideal time - but for ease and speed I have done exactly as you ask a couple of times now.

I found that starting windows in safe mode (with original mobo + chip) and removing all mobo related drivers in device manager before shutting down and replacing the components made sure that old drivers didn't lurk in the shadows to cause conflicts - xp will automatically request/load the new ones as it detects the new setup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac