Motherboard Upgrade

GlynH 16:35 29 Aug 04

I have an Emachines 370 running XP Home. I've decided to replace the MB with a new one - a Gigabyte model GA-8IPE1000MK using the Intel 865PE Chipset. It's a MicroATX form factor board as the Emachine case is.

I have the following questions I hope someone will be able to answer:

1) Will I have to re-register XP once I've upgraded? (I already upgraded the Graphics card, added more RAM)Is this easy?

2) It has 2 x UltraDMA 100/66 Bus Master IDE. Can I connect an EIDE drive to this? I have a crappy 2Gb drive that I use to store downloads which is a samsung EIDE drive, but would like to still use it until I can get a new drive.

3) When I can afford a new drive, would a SATA drive be best?

Cheers,

Glyn

GlynH 16:43 29 Aug 04

Just another question, would I have to re-install any software etc?

Cheers

click here

Totally-braindead 17:01 29 Aug 04

I might be wrong here but the XP you have is probably only for the Emachine and if you use it on another computer it may not run at all. You'd also be better doing a clean install ie formatting and reinstalling windows on the hard drive as the new motherboard will use different drivers. First thing is to check if you have a full version of XP or a version of XP for your Emachine only. Regarding the hard drive question your old hard drives will work fine, you can only install a SATA drive if the motherboard you are buying supports it(unless you buy an addon card).

temp003 17:14 29 Aug 04

click here

Presumably your XP is an OEM version that came with the computer?

Be very careful before you change the motherboard when you have an OEM computer with XP preinstalled.

With some OEM computers, the XP activation is embedded in the BIOS of the motherboard that came with the machine. With this type of OEM computer, you can change everything on your computer without having to reactivate, except for changing the motherboard (because it contains the BIOS code). You will not be able to use the XP that comes with the computer, unless you get the BIOS code from the OEM manufacturer, effectively meaning that you can only get an upgrade of the motherboard through the OEM supplier.

I'm not familiar with Emachines, so you had better check with the supplier or Microsoft first. I hope your computer is not this type.

There are other OEM computers which work differently, that is, the activation is not done through the BIOS code.

In such cases, if your original computer already has a network card and the network card is changed, or you never had a network card in the 1st place, you will need to reactivate on the 4th change. If you had a network card but it is not changed, you will need to reactivate only on the 6th change.

Are you changing the processor as well?

The changes will likely include display card, IDE adapter, network card (on the new motherboard), SATA adapter (which may count as SCSI), RAM range.

It is likely you will need to re-activate. If you haven't needed to reactivate before, you just do it on the internet. Easy.

But check that your XP is not BIOS-activated.

GlynH 19:51 29 Aug 04

Cheers for that.

Looks likek I may have a BIOS integrated XP Activation after all. This totally sucks really, but I know it's been said many times before so I Won't go on a rant.

So, anyone know where I can get the cheapest XP Home edition from? Full package , not an upgrade. Looked on DABS and thatd 152 big ones.

If I wanted to re-format the drive, could I create a partition, separate to the one windows is installed on, copy over all my files etc to this partition, then re-fromat the one with the XP installation on? I know I would have to re-install everything again.

Glyn

GlynH 00:43 30 Aug 04

i couldn't find an e:mail adress for e:machines, but there was a PCService call one on the case. This is the reply:

Although the activation code is tied to the hardware inside the machine
it is not exclusively tied to the BIOS of the motherboard. You should
be able to change the motherboard with little or no problems at all to
your copy of Windows XP. Although generally when changing a major piece
of hardware such as a motherboard I would recommend reinstalling your
operating system as the change can cause problems with the general
running of a stable operating system.

Mmmm, now, do I trust it?

GlynH 00:43 30 Aug 04

i couldn't find an e:mail adress for e:machines, but there was a PCService call one on the case. This is the reply:

Although the activation code is tied to the hardware inside the machine
it is not exclusively tied to the BIOS of the motherboard. You should
be able to change the motherboard with little or no problems at all to
your copy of Windows XP. Although generally when changing a major piece
of hardware such as a motherboard I would recommend reinstalling your
operating system as the change can cause problems with the general
running of a stable operating system.

Mmmm, now, do I trust it?

temp003 00:54 30 Aug 04

That's a pretty quick reply from PCService. You can proceed with changing your motherboard. As I said, not all OEM XP computers are BIOS-activated. The reply confirms that your machine isn't BIOS-activated.

Yes, you can create a further partition, put the personal stuff on the new partition, and when you install XP (booting from the CD), you'll be asked where to install it to. Just say C partition, format it with NTFS, and that will leave the new partition untouched.

But it is always safer to back things up to external media.

Presumably your C partition takes up the whole of the hard disk at the moment. If so, you'll need to use third party software such as Partition Magic (there's other freeware) to do the partitioning.

GlynH 00:59 30 Aug 04

Looking at document you pointed me to, it would appear that, from what Microsoft says, if the SLP BIOS activation feature IS present, then if the motherboard was replaced by another of the OEM's motheroards, reacivation would not be required (as you said).

However, it says in the unlikely event of the BIOS info NOT matching the SLP, the PC would need to be activated wthin 30 days. SO there may be hope yet!

I'll contact Microsoft too.

Ta

GlynH 01:10 30 Aug 04

Just missed you!

I was surprised by the speed of reply too. I'll not cancel my mobo order then - yet.

On other thing, I'm just concerned about if the upgrade goes a bit wrong - like not being able to start the damn thing. How do I proceed then? I could replace the old MB I suppose to get back working again.

ANyway, one step at a time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…