Motherboard upgrade

staples printer cartridge 22:16 25 Aug 04

After months of putting this off I have decided to upgrade my motherboard and processor.....I've never done it before but I figured if I just ordered it then I HAD to do it. Trouble is I'm not sure what I've let myself in for. How do I know if I need a new case, new PSU, new cooling etc.? Is there a link, book or someone who lives round the corner to help? Any ideas please.

Ian

ste_bla 23:09 25 Aug 04

Depending on your old PC you may need for a CPU & Mobo upgrade;

CPU (Obviously)

Cooler depending if you get retail/oem cpu

Mothboard (Obviously)

Ram depending on old type (eg SDRam or DDR) and speed

New case depending on pc age (if less than say 3yrs then it would be an atx which is fine)

New HDD as old one will have to be formatted to install new mobo drivers etc (so 2nd drive to keep old docs etc on)

Prehaps a new GFX card depending if you had onboard on last/new

AndySD 23:33 25 Aug 04

What is your present system ( Processor/RAM(eg pc2100) and Power suply)what operating system.

staples printer cartridge 07:28 26 Aug 04

Yeah AndySD I should have put that on first time around. I curently have an Athlon 1.4GHz with 512M RAM (but I know this will not fit onto the mobo I have ordered which is an MSI K7N2-Delta ILSR, with 512 DDR400 PC3200 to go with it). And I was planning on buying an Athlon XP3200 400FSB. My video card is last years (RAdeon 9500 Pro) and I already have 2 HDD; I have a Audigy Platinum card too. The processor comes with a fan but it is cooling etc that I am most concerned about.

rickf 08:18 26 Aug 04

You'll need a new heatsink and fan for the new cpu. If retail then these come with. If you buy oem then you have to buy these independently. Depending on your case you can always add more fans for cooling the system generally.

cga 09:22 26 Aug 04

maybe ste_bla knows something new that I dont but, in all the upgrades and rebuilds that I have done I have never needed to format the harddrive.

You might WANT to do a fresh OS install at the same time to get a tidy environment but that is a different issue. You should be able to add any drivers you need to your existing OS.

staples printer cartridge 10:15 26 Aug 04

That's good to know thanks.

jimv7 10:26 26 Aug 04

If not getting a new case, check the psu, minimum required is 300watts, preverably larger 450+watts to be safe.

staples printer cartridge 10:05 05 Sep 04

Don't know if you will read this, but I got everything, put it together and the BIOS comes up fine but windows does not. It keeps rebooting and asking if I want to start in safe mode etc. Trouble is none of the options work, it just keeps cycling round. Does this mean I may have to reformat and start again. I have put my old computer back together (on which I am now typing) and it works fine. Any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…