//some 3rd party need geo

Motherboard Upgrade

Tigger2 18:03 14 Nov 03

I like my PC just the way it is….the HDD is big enough, I’ve got all the software I want etc but I would like to increase the “power” of the chipset since it’s a pretty old AMD K6/500Mhz.

Is it possible to simply replace the Motherboard & Processor with a newer faster one (say around 1.7Ghz or so) & retain the rest of the PC & expect it all to work OK or am I being too simplistic!!!!

All thoughts greatfully received…

Cheers

R4 18:31 14 Nov 03

Yes.. well almost.

The least you might need to do is.. You would have to change your Motherboard Chipset drivers to the suit your new Motherboard.

How ever if your old PC is in an old AT case you would probabley require a New ATX case for the new motherboard.

woodchip 18:37 14 Nov 03

And new memory to match

woodchip 18:40 14 Nov 03

Hears is a good place to start click here and type MOTHERBOARD KIT in the search box you will only then need a case

Fred the flour grader 19:11 14 Nov 03

Sorry for butting in, but R4, what is the difference between AT/ATX case?. I am thinking of this way of upgrading as well as Tigger2.

woodchip 19:20 14 Nov 03

AT is the old version or Motherboard and Case format, the one now used is ATX format, Size of board and connecters are different. The AT motheboard had two power plugs side by side connected to the motherboard from the PSU the ATX Motherboard as just the one main plug with lots of wires in it

woodchip 19:24 14 Nov 03

PS AT and ATX are not interchangeable, You have to have one or the other you cannot fit a ATX board into a ATX case. Or should I say it's not worth the effort trying as they are so cheap for a new case with PSU

woodchip 19:25 14 Nov 03

Sorry ATX board in a AT case

Fred the flour grader 19:25 14 Nov 03

Thanks Woodchip, is this upgrade difficult to do. I have added 2nd hard drive, new RAM and a cd writer myself. Is it more technically challenging than them tasks by much?

Alan2 19:26 14 Nov 03

I too am interested in upgrading my PC this way having been alerted to the option by the article on page 171 of the December issue of PCA.

The article makes it look *relatively* straightforward - there being no mention of AT/ATX case problems or changing mobo chipset drivers.

In my case (non intended pun) I have a 5 year old Dell Dimension with a mobo that appears to cover most of one side of the case. Whereas, the mobo illustrated in the article looks to be only half the size, so I can't see the mentioned pins and holes aligning. In that case perhaps R4 has a point.

I'd like to hear from anyone who's taken this upgrade route.

Alan.

woodchip 19:38 14 Nov 03

This is one of the cheapest way's to go for an upgrade. From the link that I gave above you have almost a new computer other than drives and case. If you follow the motherboard Manual to the letter you should not have many probs May be none. but if you decide on this root I would suggest that you put all the bits together of the Above the Case and the motherboard Kit and you would also have to fit you graphics card the connect to monitor Keyboard and mouse you do not need anything else to try it so you can get as far as the bios IF you can get that far then the computer is just about ready to go withe other bits. BUT you will really need to format the Drive and do a clean install so you do not have problems

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…