motherboard switchoff power

saxman 12:53 19 Jun 05

I have just upgraded my m/c with an 'ASRock K7Upgrade-600'. The CPU is an AMD Sempron 2600. When I switch off the m/c via Windows XP everything shuts down but there is still power to the USB ports and the optical mouse. I know this because if I I plug into the USB port the light on the cable is illuminated and I can see the the light on the mouse which increases in intensity when I move it. The lights only go out when I remove the power plug. The dealer tells me that this is OK and the m/c works fine. I would appreciate any comments

De Marcus 13:05 19 Jun 05

Perfectly normal, some people use it to 'wake' up their pc's, i.e. a move of the mouse fires the machine up. You should be able to disable it in the bios if it's not to your liking, just look for BIOS switch off USB-power-on / USB legacy support.

wiz-king 04:55 20 Jun 05

Most PCs had a real power switch, that is one that turned off the mains, now it seems normal to leave the PSU running 24/7 and just turn the PC 'off' in the software So when you turn your PC off you are real putting it into standby, the PSU is still working and it makes the time that is needed to boot the system shorter. The power out to monitor socket vanished about the same time!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…