Motherboard is on standby but will not power up

vigo 17:30 07 Jan 08

Hi

My motherboard has a lamp indicating power on standby when I plug in and switch on the PSU but nothing happens when I try to power up. I have tried a new PSU as well as a different switch to no avail. Is my motherboard just dead? The PC has been functioning perfectly well for 18 months and just wouldn't switch on after a week of being unused. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Motherboard:
Asus A8V-VM (Socket 939, VIA K8M890)
PSU :
iCute 450W

Thanks

howard64 19:09 07 Jan 08

my first suggestion would be to unplug everything on the mobo apart from the cpu and then plug it in again - Just pushing on a card etc., is often not good enough - something may have lifted in its socket. After that you will have to go to basics - do you get any beeps?

vigo 02:23 08 Jan 08

thanks for the suggestion howard - i'll let you know how i get on with that. there are no beeps or actvity of any kind (no fans or anything).

martjc 10:45 08 Jan 08

...on the motherboard after trying a known good psu, then no power is being delivered past the power socket on the board. It looks like your board is dead, sorry!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009