motherboard set up problems

bigboab y 10:33 29 Aug 04

Building a new puter from scratch. New tin box, mobo and Duron 1800 processor etc.etc. From threads on here,installed windows 98 then upped it to XP PRO after formatting a 10 gig hard drive.When I replace the 10 gig with my old 20 gig ,(with all my files and has the same XP PRO on it) I cant get past the black and white "start computer normally" screen .It just keeps coming back to that screen.Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong and how to fix?

bremner 10:46 29 Aug 04

XP more often than not will fail to boot when the hard drive is moved from one motherboard to another.

I had the same issue when I upgraded mobo and cpu.

There are some things you can try.

Start with the XP CD in the drive and choose rge repair/recovery option - this however did not work for me and I finished up having to do a complete format and install.

Gongoozler 10:52 29 Aug 04

Hi bigboab y. Sorry but I'm confused! As I understand it, you are having problems with your installation using the 20G drive. Presumably you are getting past the POST, and Windows then tries to load. Has this installation ever worked, and was Windows XP properly installed on this drive.

Gongoozler 10:58 29 Aug 04

Aha - maybe Bremner managed to unravel the confusion. Yes if XP was installed on the 20G drive with another motherboard, Windows may be having problems with the wrong drivers. Sometimes this works, but sometimes it just won't boot. The best thing here is to boot with the 10G drive, using the 20G drive as slave. If you want to use the 20G drive as master, then back up all the important files, and format the 20G drive.

SEASHANTY 11:01 29 Aug 04

Some info also on the XP Forum
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:04 29 Aug 04

The XP settings on the 20G drive will be for your old computer. XP is not recognising anything on the new one.

Can you boot into safe mode (f8 after post)?

If so remove all the drivers in device manager reboot and let XP find new hardware and install the correct drivers for the equipment in the new computer.

bigboab y 13:37 29 Aug 04

Lots of advice here.. thanks..I obviously dont want to lose the stuff on my 20 gig drive which is 3 quarters full...I'll the ideas out .. tippy toe style ... Gongoozler.. when you say "backup my stuff".. do you mean saving all my files to disc?? Got a cd/rw so that should be no problem.

Gongoozler 16:54 29 Aug 04

Hi bigboab y. Everything on your 20G drive will be lost if you reformat it, so you will need to back it up somewhere. If it's 3 quarters full then that will be some serious copying to disk. You will need to reinstall any programs after you install Windows, so its only your saved documents, pictures etc that you will need to back up. You may find it easier to use your 10G drive as master, or get a new drive.

bigboab y 18:35 29 Aug 04

Thot that would be the case gongoozle.. BUT if I leave the 10gig as master and the 20 gig as slave,they will both have XP on them... will that work ok?

bigboab y 18:38 29 Aug 04

What I meant was can I use the 20 gig as a slave and still keep the data on it?

bigboab y 19:41 30 Aug 04

Wnet to this site click here and followed his/her advice with one small variation (well, a big one actually)... when I "booted from cdrom" and inserted the XP disc,I still couldnt get past the "start windows normally" as before.Then I rememberedI had used the XP disc to upgrade from Windows 98... sooo I re-installed Windows 98...THEN I ran the XP disc,but instead of selecing "upgrade" I chose "new installation"... I soon got a screen asking if I wanted to install or REPAIR.. that was the key....ran REPAIR.. and it re-installed all my data .. took a while though as there was 15gigs of stuff it had to sort through... Now a happy bunny (only one small glitch ,when I boot up I am given the choice of XP or 98... clicking on XP takes me there).. I'll have a wee think about that one.... thanks for all your help guys/gals.. you came up trumps once again ..cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…