Motherboard replacement query ???

Boris {B<) 09:39 27 Feb 04

I'm trying to find an idiot-proof article on replacing your motherboard under XP to send to friend who has somehow lost his internet connection.

He lives in the middle of nowhere in mid-wales and rang me up to say that the IDE connector somehow broke off the board - it was about 15 months old and he's now bought a new board mail order - ECS L7VTA (VIA KT400A chipset) - to replace what was I think was an Asus with probably SiS chipset ? (he's not 100% sure of the model)

Everything else is to stay exactly the same. I find he has only one drive and no external backups. If he can do this with just an overlay install of XP afterwards - will he be OK and not lose anything ?

He obviously can't uninstall the board drivers before he starts - any ideas what else might go wrong ?

anon1 09:59 27 Feb 04

click here should be of help

JIM 10:24 27 Feb 04

for the board review,1.1

click here

Elitegroup Computer Systems./ L7VTA PCB 1.1

click here

Manual (The user's manual can be read by Adobe Acrobat Reader)= direct zip file download

see if the above helps?

JIM 10:31 27 Feb 04

was intending to send this link which you may know off, a copy of the "Fit the Motherboard into Case" printed off may help.?

click here

Boris {B<) 11:58 27 Feb 04

Thanks - I'd found the manual already + also printed off some pages fom the Promptus guide.

I think I've got more concern over whether XP has problems recognising the board and controllers with the old drivers still being there, rather than the physical fitting of it - he's quite good at the practical side of things.

anon1 12:03 27 Feb 04

my original link should help with the problems you anticipate

JIM 13:07 28 Feb 04

point in your thread. (IDE connector somehow broke off the board)Can your friend tranfer to an other IDE connector for to run sysprep and "RESEAL" Windows XP."Now that is new to me:)" (Just shows what i dont know) but have a look at the link if not all read.

Would be interested in the outcome for future reference.

click here

Boris {B<) 15:00 28 Feb 04

Posted everything off to him today - will now wait for the next phone call ! LOL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…