Motherboard replacement help

Poyozo 20:58 15 Jul 09

Hello.

About a year ago i received a Gateway
DX4200-UB001A as a gift and I have recently started upgrading it for gaming purposes. After upgrading my PSU and GPU I started looking into upgrading my CPU. My current CPU is an AMD Phenom X4 9550 2.2Ghz, which isnt bad but I want more. But I encountered a problem with my motherboard.

Among the issues with this motherboard, other than the damn locked BIOS, are that it supports up to 95W CPUs only. So I started looking into upgrading my motherboard.

As Im reading info on the subject I discover that replacing a motherboard must be followed by reformating the hard drive. Now, I know this procedure is easy but I really dont want to lose my apps and my stuff, and my PC didnt come with the Windows recovery CD (Windows Vista 64 bit is my OS,btw).

After reading a bit more about the subject I came across some information hinting at the posibility of replacing my motherboard without having to reformat my hard drive as long as the replacement motherboard is of the same chipset.

I post this seeking confirmation on the subject and advice in the matter as this would be the first time I would attempt this procedure.

Relevent Information:
Current Motherboard:
4006272RFoxconn (Bengal) RS780 Motherboard
Chipset:
•Northbridge: RS780
•Southbridge: SB700

click here

Would it be posible to replace with (for example):
ASUS M4A78-EM Motherboard
Chipset:
•Northbridge: RS780
•Southbridge: SB700

click here

Thank you for your assistance.

woodchip 21:15 15 Jul 09

If you Have a Full Operating System Disc for the one thats on the Hard Drive and you have the Key, you may get away with a Repair Install.

Boot with the CD a Recovery CD is no good. after it's done loading choose setup, it will then check the disc for a operating System it should come back with the one thats loaded, you then click on what it found so it selects it, then press R to repair

Stuartli 21:56 15 Jul 09

I've changed my motherboard twice in the last five years and immediately done an XP Pro Repair (without problems).

The first motherboard was Pentium based and the second (current) AMD/Via.

Poyozo 22:18 15 Jul 09

Can I change the motherboard to one with the same chipset without undergoing the Windows reapair?

"Boot with the CD a Recovery CD is no good. after it's done loading choose setup, it will then check the disc for a operating System it should come back with the one thats loaded, you then click on what it found so it selects it, then press R to repair"

Im sorry woodchip I dont get what you are trying to say here.

Jim_F 23:02 15 Jul 09

I think both the previous posters are saying you would need a full copy of the OS install disk (Vista 64 in this case).

The OS interfaces with more of the hardware than just the North and South Bridges - notably the bios - so is still liable to fall over.

Another obstacle is that Windows itself will most likely detect a change and require revalidation - something you would be unlikely to get as this is an OEM version locked to Gateway hardware.

Sorry - but I think its an outside chance that this could ever work.

cream. 23:16 15 Jul 09

you have no chance.

Either stick with board you have or get a cheap £49 version of windows 7 home premium from PC world.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…