//some 3rd party need geo

Motherboard Replacement

Terry Brown 14:06 02 Jun 05

I need to upgrade my system with motherboard + Memory (current one at it's limit), however I have the hard drives and system set up exactly as I want it, and I do not want to start again.--When I replace my motherboard, will the settings on my hard dive enable me to carry on as I was, or will I need to reset my system up again.
Thanks--Terry

andrew-196854 16:27 02 Jun 05

a bit more info may be helpful what operating system you on xp etc what the name and model of your current one ? what procceser do you have and what motherboard do you want in replacement?

phono 16:53 02 Jun 05

If you purchase a motherboard that has a chipset from the same manufacturer as your current motherboard you may not have any problems, VIA chipsets, for instance, have drivers that can be used on any VIA equipped motherboard. I have upgraded motherboards with VIA chipsets a number of times without any problems at all.

I have also replaced a VIA based motherboard with an SIS based motherboard for a friend and that was a different kettle of fish, I eventually got it all sorted out but only with the aid of an old PCI graphics card as the new Mobo had onboard AGP graphics and proved a real pig to get sorted, that said, I eventually got his system running perfectly.

phono 02:15 04 Jun 05

Are you sorted yet Terry Brown?

If so let us know, one way or the other.

goonerbill © ® 07:49 04 Jun 05

if you upgrade your mobo and it has the same chipset as your old mobo, you may get away without having to do a clean install, as mentioned by phono.

the worse case senario is a clean install so it would be advisable to back everything up, even if you are installing mobo's with the same chipset.

Terry Brown 11:25 05 Jun 05

Sorry about the delay, work got in the way..
I currently have a ECS7S5A board Version 1.0, running 512 133mhz memory,AMD 1800 chip (Current max stable speed 1150), and the latest (2002) bios update.I am looking at updating to a GIGABYTE board, however I have not decided which one to choose. I would like to keep my processor (Socket A), however the memory is 168 pin sdimm and can be fitted into another computer. I have had GIGABYTE boards before and found them reliable,however other suggestions would be welcome.
Thank You
Terry

Stuartli 13:50 05 Jun 05

If you are using XP, once you have installed your new motherboard, ensure that you have set Boot up from CD in the Bios.

You should then boot up from your XP CD-ROM and choose Install. You will shortly be asked if you wish to continue Installing or go to the Recovery Consolve. Select Install again.

Again, shortly afterwards, you will have a choice of Install or Repair. This time select "Repair" and continue (you will need your Product Number handy at one point to ensure you can maintain the repair).

Once the installation is complete you can then reinstall SP2.

You will find that all your hard drive contents will have been retained and that the new motherboard has been "accepted".

Stuartli 13:53 05 Jun 05

I've just completed the replacement of a BX-equipped Elite motherboard with a Gigabyte housing a VIA equivalent using this method.

Terry Brown 08:46 06 Jun 05

Thank You all, especially Stuarti, I will proceed along that route

goonerbill © ® 23:36 06 Jun 05

without starting to many arguements, would recommend forgetting gigabyte mobo's (or any with the VIA chipset)and go for any that have the nforce2 chipset, asus do a couple of good ones (have the A7N8X-E Duluxe)and this was after using gigabyte boards for years.

Stuartli 11:28 07 Jun 05

Thanks for that comforting advice, a view shared I'm sure by many thousands of other Gigabyte motherboard owners.....:-)

Not prepared to agree with you, for obvious reasons, but in any case I bought a GeForceFX graphics card to replace my Geforce2 MX200 which, for some mysterious reason, decided to give up the ghost after several years.

Incidentally, the GeForceFX in turn had replaced an ATI Radeon 7000 which I bought in a rush to get the mobo installed - it was the worse card I've ever come across and brought up rows and rows of coloured dots and dashes which would eventually disappear.

No amount of installing the latest drivers for the card, mobo etc would cure the problem and the outlet I bought it from allowed its full cost against the GeForceFX and the reliable nVidia chipset. Cost to change was only about 40 per cent more - great value.

By the way, my particular Gigabyte mobo (a GA-6VX7 4X bought to house a PentiumIII) beat all the competition, including Intel chipset rivals, in a large group test conducted by TomsHardware.com at the time. The verdict was that the Via chipset was superior at that particular period:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…