Motherboard Replacement

Press Man 19:55 06 Dec 04

Hi Guys,

I think motherboard is on its way out, and wish to replace/upgrade before it does so. I would like it to support for now, existing cpu, drives, memory etc until I can afford bigger cpu and better memory. Current setup is as follows: Main board ATX Soltek SL-75KV-X
(22cm x 30.5cm), Win XP S/P 2, 400W Zalman psu, cpu 1.1 AMD Athlon T/Bird socket A, 2 hdd, Asus cdrw, Asus DVD/CD, 512 PC133 memory, Radeon 9800 pro. My budget will be £50 to £60. All advice will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance of your help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:10 06 Dec 04

Why do you think your board is on the way out?

They normaly fail completely and PC won't boot.

Jeffers22 20:11 06 Dec 04

You might have a bit of a struggle finding a soket A board anywhere but second hand. The Athlon XP range - now virtually superceded by 64 bit - used socket 478.

I would suggest you double your budget (not always easy I know .... but...) and visit watford click here and look at their upgrade bundles (mobo, cpu heatsink fan and ram) I've used these three times now nad been very pleased.

If not possible I can only suggest you search for clearance items from the likes of dabs, ebuyer, simply etc for one.

Jeffers22 20:15 06 Dec 04

Sorry, got that completely wrong. 478 is Intel. Getting confused with Sempron replacing Duron. A senior moment mayhap!

dez fowler 20:54 06 Dec 04

Might as well go for the cheapest SoA motherboard you can find, probably about £26, no point spending more than that. Then bin it off completely and get a 64-bit system with PCI Express when the time is right.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…