Motherboard replaced or not?

kalinka 16:05 03 Jan 07

Was told needed new motherboard and paid a substantial amount of money to have it replaced. Have now got it back and have not lost any information on laptop. I thought that when motherboard goes all is lost. Could it just have been repaired and I paid more than I should?

ed-0 16:19 03 Jan 07

" have not lost any information on laptop. I thought that when motherboard goes all is lost."

No. If you exchange a like for like, then the hard drive will see no difference. The only thing visible or different may be the bios version. The newer motherboard will probably have a newer bios.

" Could it just have been repaired and I paid more than I should?"

That is possible but would be the kiss of death to the company who has charged for a new motherboard and not supplied it. If it was proven then the internet can quickly spread the outcome and seriously damage a company's reputation.

It should be possible to tell if you have a new motherboard, check the external connections, usb, vga,firewire etc. They should all look shiny new and be no play when you plug in a connection.

PaulB2005 16:30 03 Jan 07

You data is stored on a hard drive and not the motherbaord, hence data is not lost.

kalinka 17:57 03 Jan 07

Thanks for replies - feel better now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…