motherboard puzzle

Hrosir 14:54 11 Nov 07

I recently obtained a GIGABYTE GA-M52S-S3P Motherboard and all was fine until I tried to connect the CDROM drive! It seems the board comes with 1 IDE connector and 1 floppy drive connector.As I dont use a floppy drive anymore this was a surprize but finding only one IDE connector to use both CD a nd HDD has left me with a board I cant use at the moment, please can anyone offer suggestions as to how I can use both drives?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:58 11 Nov 07

The 1 IDE channel can support two drives (a primary and a secondary) master and slave.

you need a IDE cable with two connections master your HDD goes at the end slave your CD goes in the middle.
you need to set the jumpers on the drives as master and slave, there will be a picture on the HDD showing the jumper settings.

Totally-braindead 15:01 11 Nov 07

Or buy a SATA hard drive, thats your 2 choices.

100andthirty 15:12 11 Nov 07

I don't remember why, but it's generally not reckoned to be a good idea to daisy chain an HDD on the same IDE channel as an optical drive

You can buy adaptors to allow your hard drive to SATA. You'll need a data converter and a power adaptor

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…