Motherboard problem - replace or new laptop?

sammy36 13:51 12 Jan 08

I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 which my husband describes as a "brick".
I've had problems with it turning itself off during use in the last week and I understand it might need a new motherboard. It's nearly 5 years old and I am tempted to purchase another computer for around £700 budget.?
Does this seem a waste or sensible? I don't mind spending the money.

If I do, what would be my best buy for £700 ish. The Dell XPS M130? (are there still heat/fan problems with the Dell?) or a Toshiba (which one?) or a Samsung Q45 or a Sony?

I have only ever had Dells and recently had to get this one fixed by a Dell consultant after it continuosly crashed and the call centre couldn't fix it... they weren't bad although I find the call centre frustrating.

I use it at home for basic admin stuff, internet, DVD watching when husband is hogging the sport on the telly, photos, hard drive video camera, MP3 player - no gaming although I have an 18 month old son and by the time he gets into them I suspect we might be thinking of upgrading again?
Any thoughts.
Thank you

skidzy 14:49 12 Jan 08

If 5 years old,i would look at replacing the computer.As your requirements are basic and not heavy gaming usage or video editing,you will have change out of your budget.

I like Dell computers and find them very reliable and have always had excellent service.

I take it you are looking for a lappy ?

The Dell xps M1330 is a good choice and would be hard to beat on price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017